Wolf Park and Nelson Park

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

So I fished Alum Creek, the Nelson Park area along Nelson Rd about two weeks ago and blanked. I have thought about fishing this area and Wolf Park down the road for a while. I talked to someone who said that these areas are too shallow to hold fish, which I thought kind of strange.

Can anyone who's fished these areas or know anything about them, confirm or deny this? I'm pretty sure regardless of the response I'll try these areas again if only to satisfy my curiosity. I guess I'm just looking for a boost of confidence to continue fishing these areas.

Just for some background, I used a 1/8 oz jig and twister, the creek level was a little high and the current was steady.

2. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

As for water being too shallow to hold fish, I'm not sure that is possible! I have caught largemouth in less than a foot of water.

3. It should hold fish, if theres baitfish in this area then there will be bigger fish in the area as well.

4. Columbusslim31

Yeah I kinda figured he was feeding me a line. I know there's a riffle about 200 yards upstream from the parking lot at Nelson Park that I wanted to try. If anything, I expect to at least try for some cats in these areas before giving up on them. I guess the only thing left for me to ponder is whether these areas are conducive to holding fish--seeing as how these look like areas that might collect a lot off runoff. I'm very new to fishing rivers so exactly how much does runoff affect an area for fishing? Do the fish turn off or do they simply move out of the area?

5. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

Hey Slim are you talking about where Broad st goes into Bexley, I think you are, yea I cant say theres not fish in there but It is a pretty shallow creek in that area, probally a few smallies and carp but the water has always been kinda polluted through there, Im not a polution expert by any means but I have never done well in smaller innercity creeks and rivers Id honestly not spend a whole lot of time there unless it was real close to where ya live. Id also say beware of people down in that park, was at a tennis match in high school down there and they busted 2 guys in the woods watching us and wackin it. Of course that unfortunately isn't really that uncommon these days.. the world is full of sickos. Good luck!

6. Columbusslim31

Yeah that's the area. Your post is proof positive of why I should listen to my first mind. When I first thought about checking these areas out for fishing, I thought, "Probably won't catch anything." When I started fishing with my father in my younger days I would ask if we could fish certain areas around our home, to which his response would commonly be, "It's too polluted". (Much to my dismay because the water always LOOKED fine). I don't know, maybe it was my need to prove something that made me go against my better judgement. Or maybe I'm going through "Fisherman's Withdrawal" where the only remedy is wetting a line at the nearest source of water!:D

As for the people in the park, if anything that's more of a deterrent to continuing to fish these areas than not catching fish! I can't say that these will be places I look forward to fishing in the future, and any trips I do make would be few and far between. But if I should ever truly feel a need to fish these areas again, I'll definitely watch my back more closely.

But I kinda feel a need to prove that fish can be caught in these areas so, I'll probably go at least one more time before I give up. If only just to fish that riffle.

7. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

about three years back i had to go to court for a traffic violation in delaware county. while i was waiting my turn there were several other people in front of me, five of which were there for the exact kind of thing steelwolve was talking about. three of them where caught on public grounds at alum creek and two were caught on public grounds at delaware state park. they all plead guilty and only got a small fine, a couple of years of probation and told not to return to the public parks until after there probationary period was over! all ythey got is a slap on the wrist. i always pay attention to my suroundings when i go to any public parks now, especially if i take my kids. it seems sad that you can't even go out to go fishing or even to have a picinic with out haveing to worry about some kind of whack job bothering you or others. and by the way it was gamewardens and park officers who caught these individualls. so if you see anything out of the ordinary call someone. let get these sickos out of the areas that we OGFers love so much, before it gets any worse and we start hearing about kids coming up missing.

8. The stretch from livingston to rt 104, i heard , is good. A guy that lives in the complex where i fish near their says its real good by the railroad tracks closer to 104. I know its a deep hole right behind the Water Edge pond. its got to be @least 6ft deep.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Saugeye, smallmouth, and what the latino people call 'pike' can be found below both spillways. I have never ever ever ever done good when the water was cold, although when walleye were stocked in the lake, they could be caught all the time. Try it again in mid April if things consistantly warm, and you should be pleasantly surprised. The only downside about both is that they are scheduled to be removed sometime this summer....which is great!!! but not for saugeye fishing. Last May there were some huge saugeyes caught below the wolfe park dam. Also two 35"+ muskies. I also may or may not have caught one of these so called muskies last may under a certain roller dam in a certain creek running through inner-columbus....but I can't name names ;-) . The creek below Nelson is arguably better since not as many people fish it. I have caught numerous smallies and saugeyes there in april-june. The reason I am being so loose with this information, is because most people will STILL consider the creek not worth their time....also, the dams are being removed eheheh! White twisters are the key, with as light a jighead as possible. The muskie came on a white husky jerk....as did a few nice eyes.

Species recorded below the two dams by me:
    LMB
    SMB
    Spt. Bass
    White Bass
    Drum
    Channel Cat
    Yellow/Black Bullhead
    Carp
    Yellow Perch
    SUCKERS
    Saugeye (saw a man with a 28" last may)
    Muskie (in 1996 OEPA shocked 3 below Wolfe averaging 13lbs. [yes, averaging, look it up] The crewleader told me he could only manage netting 3, but they were torpedoing out of the air like crazy!)

If you need some proof of Alum's integrity, check out my photos!

10. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

Man way to back it up, glad to hear I was wrong about polution in the area. Thats incredably suprising to hear about the muskies that far down, I thoght they stopped around easton area. I may have to go back to my roots and start trying some more creeking this year.

11. Columbusslim31

It never occured to me to wait until it got a little warmer to fish these areas. I'll definitely try again when it does. Thanks Mushijobah!

And thanks to everyone else for their opinions as well.

12. JamesT

JamesT Banned

Slim,
    Mush is right on. Get down there in the warmer weather and wade around. You'll find the conditions and spots that are holding some good fish. Good luck!

13. That's an impressive variety of fish, Mush. I only suspected it to be loaded with carp and cats. I would have a mind to fish it before they tear the dams out after reading your report, but it's just not rural enough for me. I like to get as far away from the city as possible. Heck, Griggs is too urban for me. If little kids wearing crocs, armed with a Snoopy pole can get to where I'm fishing, I'm not to my spot yet.

14. Columbusslim31

LOL! Classic!

15. Columbusslim31

Hell of a report leckig. I've officially been warned. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for drunken, amourous, wandering females. And avoid at all costs...

16. Columbusslim31

I left myself wide open there. I guess no one's paid attention...

17. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

haha I debated making a comment about keeping the drunk amorous wandering females away from you, but decided against it.

18. Columbusslim31

All I know is I'm a married man so all I do is stay away from drunken, amorous women. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

19. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I've always been Pro DAWF's, but maybe that's the youngster in me talking!