close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wolf Creek Dam, KY

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by BuckeyeFishinNut, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Anyone have any info on the area below Wolf Creek Dam on the Cumerland river in Ky. I am looking to go down in April and was wondering how the fishing is below that dam. I guess there is a campground really close to the dam we will be staying at. Just wondering what to expect when I get there. any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

yes, very good trout fishing below the dam, possibly walleye, striper. nice campground, you can get current info from baitshops

3. Any info on the catfishing or carping below the dam?

Thanks,
    Jake

4. striperfreak

no , ive never seen a catfish below the dam, the water coming out is 54 degrees most of the year,

5. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Ive been told that the Brown Trout Bite is outstanding in the tailrace

6. I would appreciate info on this fishery also. Are there sections that are wadeable? Or is most of the fishing from the bank or boat?

7. striperfreak

when the water is down there are areas that are wadeable, seems like when im there its always high, but still clear. boat ramp is right in campground best for a river boat, can be very fast current. lots of rainbow trout and browns, a few monster striper and supposively walleye.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey Jake(BuckeyeFishingNut) you taking me to a freakin trout water....you are joke'in right? I dont use a fly rod man!!
    If there aint any cats or carp....there sure better be LOTS of true and hybrid stripers or i aint going!! I can stay in Ohio and fish the Ohio r. and catch more species to my like'in than driving all the way down there...geez...lol

We might be better off drive'in the few extra hours and head into Tenn. if thats the case.

Scott

9. I am having the same thoughts. I wanna go after some stripers and cats but fish a river not a lake. Tenn. might be the idea.

Jake

10. The Cumberland river is below Wolf Creek Dam. It flows for approx. 70 miles before it emptys into Dale Hollow. I am sure somewhere along this stretch of river there are plenty of cats and carp. Most trout are caught in the tail waters. But, the year before last when I was there I caught an 8 lb carp just below the dam while I was fishing for trout.

11. Try this link for Cumberland river status.

http://www.fishin.com/reports/ky/trout/trout-report.htm

The trout fishing is good for many miles below Wolf Creek dam. If you have a boat you can drift using power bait, or casting 1/4 oz crankbaits or spinners. I've caught trout using all three methods.