close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

With the talk of very high heating cost this year what do you plan to do different

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

We always lock in our rates using the columbia gas choice program and i noticed we are locked in at around 1.45 this year and believe that was around .87 last year and in the years past.
    What do you plan to do this year to help cut you heating cost and try to keep away from the $300 plus heating bills.

Some things i plan to do is do check of the outside of the house in general probably seal off the big doors like the sliders with plastic and keep the kids from opening them too much heat loss. Plan to reside and all next spring thinking should done it this year.

2. I think I will do some real winterizing this year. By sealing up windows with plastic and foam. and keep my house fairly cold. I go to school so I will keep the temps down while I am at school. Lets see what else oh ya lots of blankets and a lot of cuddling a night with my woman. I hope that works

3. Put an extra blanket on the bed!
    I just got new windows in the house last year so not sure if the plastic over the windows will help any, what do you think? They are Pella windows double pane with the low e glass and what ever gass that they fill them with that is supposed to help.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't plan to do anything different than usual.
    when winter comes around here,i can't turn the stat above 65 during the day,without risking severe bodily harm from the wife.the furnace gets turned OFF at bedtime,and doesn't get turned on till she gets up in the morning.the bedroom window comes open at the same time the furnace goes off.and on really warm nights(outside temp above 30)the fan is blowing that nice warm air from the window,across the bed.i'll also be wearing my usual longjohns and sweats 24 hours a day,and fight for the blankets at night.
    on second though,maybe i will do something different though.gander should have sleeping bags and tents on sale now.
    i know it will be warmer in the yard than in the house,and i won't have to fight over my pillow either :)

don't ask why i married a woman who grew up in the mountains of west virginia :confused:

5. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I'm thinking of gaining weight and letting all my hair grow.

6. just finishing up a new to me furnace got rid of the old super ineffecient one and have a good stock of seasoned firewood new furnace i have put a return in next to the wood burner so the furnace fan will blow the heat through out the house during the ice storm we had ne olec lil over a week but with the airtight wood burner it was toasty in here. Plastic windows and i do think i will actually get to the weather stripping around the doors this yr
    ________
    Huge Tits live

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that should work nicely,pete :D :D

oh,the firewood thing just reminded me.
    i also will not be burning the fireplace(again,as usual)because since the above mentioned wife came out of the mountains and got "cityfied",it's too messy:rolleyes:

who said "you can take the girl out of the country,but you can't take the country out of the girl."?
    well.......................guess what :p

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

that's what the wife is for ;)

9. I have a few things that I am doing.

1. We purchased our propane in advance to get the summer rate.
    2. I just purchased a new thermostat to replace our old manual one. That way the temp will always be turned down in the evening when we go to bed and during the day when we are at work. We try to remember to do that a lot already but have not always remembered. I am hoping that will make a bit of difference.
    3. I am awaiting an estimate from an insulation company to blow the old part of our house which has needed it for a while.
    4. I plan to use the fireplace as much as possible in the evenings when we are around. I have been doing this that last few years and it helps some. The fireplace is not very efficient and lets the majority of the heat up the chimney but every little bit helps.
    Hopefully with all of these efforts my heating costs will be very similar to what they have always been.

10. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Extra wood burning and lots of whoopee!

11. That may keep my wife and I warm but it won't do much for the kids.:D

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

First off, I'd be very receptive to a $300 utility bill for the months of Jan.-March. If what's being predicted comes to past, I'm looking at twice that and then some. I already have a high efficiency (90%) furnace with a programmable thermostat. It has been set at 71 degrees during occupancy and 65 degrees unoccupied/night time but planning on going down to 68 and 65.
    I'm also planning on blowing another 6-8 inches of insulation into the attic. Adding some weather stripping to a couple of doors and lastly being more mindful of closing the damper in the fireplace when it's not in use.

13. Our house only sees temps approaching 70's during the warm months. My thermostat is in a secluded place so I know my temp reading is not what the house is but we keep it at like 63° during the time we are home and 60° at night. I know it is actually warmer than that but not much. It is always a joke from the relatives when they come to our house that they better pack plenty of clothing.:D

14. I feel for ya all. :) I keep it a toasty 75 degrees upstairs, probably 80 or so downstairs with the fireplace. Free gas! :D

15. I will be over to fill my tank real soon then.:D

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:D :D we just keep a few extra coats,mittens and earmuffs,etc handy for unsuspecting company.

anyone interested in tips for huge savings on their heat bill,is welcome to attend a FREE seminar to be given at our home by mrs. misfit.

did i mention you'll even benefit from greatly reduced electic bills,even if it's not your heat source?under her fuel saving policy,indoor temperatures will eliminate the need for fridges and freezers.

17. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I'll just throw another log on the fire...

18. The first gas bill generally motivates me to fire up the wood stove more often. But I try to resist. People living here get to liking the heat from the stove and want it all the time. Which is ok cuz I can have an excuse to go cut up more wood and not lazy around. Exercize with a purpose is good. I cant believe I said that.

19. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Not to worry guys. I heard on the news this morning that NOAA predicts there is a 50% chance that the mid-eastern U.S. will experience warmer tempertures than last year. :D