wiring???????

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishnohio, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hi Guys
    here i go the previous owner of the boat i have which is a 1974 glastron tri hull with a 85 hp mercury o/b changed the hand controls and when they spliced the wires together they left about 10 feet to much and just coiled them up which is a eyesore to me and it don't look like they soldered the wires back together looks like they just twisted them and then black taped them and now where they spliced it back together it looks like a snake that just ate a rat.....lol.
    would it be ok if i cut out that splice and made the wires the right length and soldered them and heat shrink them and then apply the liquid rubber to give them a water tight seal??????? and by the way everything works as it should right now it is just a eyesore like i said and i have to completely rewire the boat for lights, horn, bilge pumps, etc anyways.....thanks for the help.......Mike

2. yep...do ONE at a time!!! had a 76' glasstron tri hull for 8 years...loved it!! when i redid mine i wrapped all exposed wires in foam insi you use for 3/4'' copper pipe...really cleaned things up and looked great!!!

3. If you heat shrink you shouldn't have to use the liquid rubber. :)

4. you shouldn't have to solder the wires either. In the electrical isle ar home depot you can get these things (sorry don't know the right name) that are basically a piece of round metal tube rapped in insualing rubber. You just cut the wire, strip both ends, insert one end into each end of the thing, crimp it down and then take a lighter and heat the ends to shrink the insuating rubber. Your done. Should take about 5 min and cost you about 1.20 for a pack of the splicing things.

5. They are called heat shrink butt connectors and they work great. It should be all you need to do.

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

these are all you'll need. just make sure you get the correct ones for the gauge wire your running(these are for 12 to 10). cut the ends of the wire squarely and crimp them in. then just use a lighter to heat the ends and shrink it down.

Attached Files:

7. i use them butt connectors all the time, just wasn't sure if i needed to solder them because it is a marine application, i have hundreds of those in the garage from when i wired my race car. i think i will still put the liquid rubber over all of the wires for a little added insurance and i think i will wrap it with the pipe foam insulation also thanks guys i appreciate it.........Mike

8. Not a big user of crimp connectors. Nothing is more frustrating than having a crimp connection fail and not be able to find it. Maybe I just don't crimp right.

On the trailer and the boat everything is soldered and then sealed. Just feel more comfortable that long term vibrations/weather won't kill a connection.

9. you can get heat shrink connectors crimp and heat to shrink then its air and water tight

10. I would solder wires or use butt connectors and shrink wrap for best results. However I would think long and hard about putting the foam pipe insulation on the wires. You want the heat to be able to dissipate from any wiring. If not it will begin to soften and melt the insulation. Don't want that to happen. If you want an neat install use wire ties.

11. I agree with BobinStow on this one. All electrical connections in my boat are soldered. I don't even like 'splicing' two pieces of wire together because of the 'weak link' factor. The last thing I want to do while on the lake is hunt down a weak connection.

If you feel you must use the crimp connectors, at least put a dab of electrical grease on the wire ends before you crimp them.

12. Absolutely. Solder is the best. If that is not an option for some reason then protection of the splice is a must.

13. solder then shrink tubing ,do any more is over kill.

14. I use the heat shrink butt connectors a lot on my truck accessories without any problems. That said.... All my connections on the boat are solder and heat shrink. If you don't get a good crimp and loose a connection on the water, it is a lot harder to find (especially if you are in the middle of the lake or worse river). I have had butt connectors in the past feel tight when I tested them by pulling on the wire and then come loose 2 months later from all the vibration!

If the wiring is a vital component (engine, lights, etc.) I would definitely solder for peace of mind if at all possible. Just my .02!

15. Crimp solder and seal always has been my pratice.

16. All wire splices on my boat are soldered and then covered with shrink wrap tubing. I bought marine shrink wrap that had a sealing glue inside. Worked great and never had problems.:)

17. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

18. Tee

Tee Team OGF

If you really want to use the best of both worlds, Use these Solder sleeves (CWT-38xx series).

http://www.harnware.com/DatasheetUpdated/SpecialDevices/soldersleeveCWT.pdf

I used these in a medical/surgical footswitch design to control a surgical table. the footswitch needed to be water proof. They worked great.

However, I ususally use the heat shrinkable butt splices in regular applications. They are all that is needed in my estimation.