close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wiring service for my fish finders / GPS

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by EE, Jun 17, 2007.

1. EE

EE

Looking for someone in Central Ohio with some experience dealing with wiring (multiple fish finders, GPS unit).

My Lowrance GPS module is not responding (at least that's the message blinking on the sonar unit mounted on my dash) and hasn't for a trip or two now, I'd like someone to take a look at it. I got down under the steering wheel where most of the wiring is and it's a little confusing (needs organized)..... I'm concerned that I will make things worse if I start messing with it. I'd also like to re-wire a hummingbird to my bow (it's not currently in use, but is attached to the boat).

I thought it would be wise (while I figure out the GPS module thing) to clean up the wiring in the hopes it will avoid future issues.

I've got several quotes from Marinas and dealers, but estimates are pretty high just to spend the time tracing the wiring (not including anything that needs replaced, if necessary)......
    I'm hoping to find an experienced individual who likes to do work like this on the side.

any recommendations, let me know
    EE

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

have you tried to restore factory settings? might solve the problem.

3. EE

EE

haven't yet, that will be the next thing that I try..... thanks!

4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Eric get on the phone with Lorance customer service they will help you out and walk you through some steps, we had the same thing happen turned out the unit went bad but they are very helpful in helping guys figure things out. Could just be a bad connection with power too. or a bad battery that it's connected too.

5. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

If it is a newer unit the GPS has to have it's own power if an older unit it could have just come unplugged from the puck, generally that error message is due to one of the above. The puck is nothing but an antenna and they generally don't go bad unless subjected to a lightning strike nearby, what Lowrance model do you have?
    Doc

6. EE

EE

Kevin and Doc,
    good to hear from you and thanks for the responses..... sorry for the delay; I've been on vacation all week, just got back today.

It is a 332C, not more than a year and a half old I believe. The gps antenna definitely doesn't need it's own power source, it plugs directly into the unit. It has been functioning since I bought it, but the last two trips out, I noticed I was getting that message. The sonar (as always) works perfectly and I'm guessing there is something

I'll be picking up my boat on Tuesday and calling Lowrance, I intend to have them walk me through some trouble shooting while I'm sitting on my boat in my driveway........I'll post anything I learn.....
    EE

7. EE

EE

an update,

Doc, if you read this.... you were right - the GPS module cable does need it's own 12 volt power source. I spent several hours yesterday messing with things and after tracing all wires back from my GPS and reading the manual pretty thoroughly, turns out I must have known that back when I installed it (and subsequently forgotten it! :D ), because there was in fact a power cable I had wired for the GPS module (separately from the power cable to the sonar unit). I found that the negative wire to the GPS module cable had come loose. I re-connected it with some reinforcement and my GPS is now picking up perfectly again.....

Kevin, if you're reading this...... I called Lowrance and they talked me through another little project: not only did I re-learn the wiring 'ins and outs' of my GPS system, but I was able to connect my dashboard GPS system (Lowrance 332c) to the Hummingbird sonar/gps unit on my bow, so when I'm sitting up front and using my electric trolling motor, I can monitor the GPS speed right in front of me, establish a trail and mark waypoints, etc. It's pretty amazing how simple it was to connect the two units, do a quick software adjustment and there you go.

one thing left to do....I have that Hummingbird hooked up to the transducer which is built into my trolling motor, now all I have to do is figure out how to get the sonar picture to come in more clearly on the Hummingbird screen and I'll be completely set....