Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to setup a couple rods to run cranks on wire off inline boards. The guestion I have is how much wire to spool up. Ill be using them out east. Also is 1' depth per 10' line out a good rule for depth? Do you add the cranks depth to the depth the wire runs? From what I've been able to find is 250' of wire will get me 25' plus what ever extra line after the wire based on the cranks dive chart. Does this seem right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I'm looking to setup a couple rods to run cranks on wire off inline boards. The guestion I have is how much wire to spool up. Ill be using them out east. Also is 1' depth per 10' line out a good rule for depth? Do you add the cranks depth to the depth the wire runs? From what I've been able to find is 250' of wire will get me 25' plus what ever extra line after the wire based on the cranks dive chart. Does this seem right?

I spool at least 300' of braid backing and then 300' of wire. I do another 40' of braid and then a 6' fluro leader. 300' of wire will put you down 30'. Yes you add the depth of the crank. I just use different cranks to adjust my depth from there. 19' for a Rapala DHJ-12, 28' for a 800 series reef runner or use shallower cranks to go shallower.

I just buy my wire in 300' spools so I don't need to mess with measuring it to put it on the rod.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Viper started a a good thread last year on the topic of wire, if you search for it, in it CarpetBagger also shared his formula for how he rigs his wire rods. He does it a little differently than I do. Then again he's a professional and I am a weekend warrior:sly:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just to make sure I have it correct... 300' of wire will get me 30' then let out 200' of backing to get the 28' of the reef runner. So I'd have 500' out and lure would be around 58' deep.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
So just to make sure I have it correct... 300' of wire will get me 30' then let out 200' of backing to get the 28' of the reef runner. So I'd have 500' out and lure would be around 58' deep.

Not quite. With a RR 800 you put out 300' of wire, you'll be at 58' (30' for the wire + 28' for the RR, no backing needed). You need the backing as you can't clip wire on the board (at least on the big boards). So the backing is really just the line from the rod tip to the board. Make sense?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Is all this info for single strand or 7 strand wire line?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would be the difference using a 7 strand line. Pretty sure they are thinner diameter so I guessing it would run deeper. I've just been told that 7 strand is easier to use.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I was always told to use single strand on the boards or flat line with cranks and to use seven strand for the dipsy's. So that's what I've always done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts