Ohio Game Fishing banner

wire

712 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chrisx28 
#1 ·
i see alot of guys talking about fishing with wire line on here. im new to erie eye fishing and am curious what the benefit of it is and is is something i need to invest in even though im running out of money from buying so much other stuff. right now i either run dipsy, jets or tru trips. i have small boards big boards down riggers and such. what would i need to be using to run this line and what do you usually run off wire cranks harnesses or spoons? teach me please. also any of you experienced guys ever need to fill a seat i would love to go learn instead of this trial by error method i got going on. thanks

#2 ·
I run wire simply because it puts fish in the box. Wire let's you get your lure down deeper. For example, a Reef Runner 800 will dive to 28'. Put that same Reef Runner out on 300' of wire and it's now close to 58' down. For wire figure 1' in depth for every 10' of wire out. Given that the thermocline is setup somewhere around 58'+ you need to be fishing deep this time of year. However, my suggestion would be to choose a method of fishing and master it first before moving on. So if your gonna run dipsy's and got three guys on the boat, run six dipsy's. Stagger them three on each side settings 1,2,3 and at depths above your target fish. If your fishing in line weights, run all in lines and stagger them with the deeper lines closer to the boat. Same for true trips etc...the reason why you don't want to start mixing programs is your boat speed. I troll "fast" with wire and cranks. I troll slow or as slow as I can with in line weights or dipsy's with harnesses. Mixing the two and one is likely to not produce as it should. Hope all this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#3 ·
And to shorten the learning curve, book a charter and let them know you want to learn, not just put meat in the freezer. Lots of good charters that advertise here on OGF. But for in line boards, slow presentation I'd book with Blue Dolphin. For big boards and wire, CarpetBagger is your man. Booking a trip will take years off of your learning curve.

#4 ·
problem with charters is im kinda a one man deal all my friends cant even afford to help on gas in my truck and boat so i just kinda role solo most times and all the charters ive talked to have big boats and its not worth the gas to take one man out

#5 ·
I believe Blue Dolphin runs a smaller aluminum boat. Don't know him, never been on his boat, but guys I know who went out with him speak highly of what they learned. Heck, I'd post here on OGF that you were looking for others to book a learning trip and share the cost. I'm sure there would be some takers.

#7 · (Edited)
Josh~
Blue Dolphin is your man. Run a post on OGF and you'll get guys to fill other spots on a charter. He specializes in small boards and he'll gladly help you learn the ropes.
Top notch guy too! His name is Gary Zart and runs ''Blue Dolphin Charters".
I used wire for many years and it has it's place, but... I don't find the need for it much anymore. "Misdirection" (oxymoron here:D) is giving you great direction. Heed his words!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.