·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using stainless wire rigs on there dipseys
or jets? Ontario anglers swear by them. I used to
run a non braided set up years ago with a crank
down low and a spoon up high. Now there using
a braided and its kinda pricey. Just curious.

Bill

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
If you think braid rigs are expensive...wait until you see what the wire rigs will run you...

I hate wire. Many of my salmon fishing friends run it, and catch a ton of fish on it, but I still hate it.

The lone "100% sure" 25#+ king that I've had behind the boat in 12 years was lost due to a wireline pumphandle that was running down the chute and our buddy was too slow getting it in and out of the way.

For the life of me I cannot see the reason for running wire for walleyes...but I guess there are a lot of guys that do it...with success.

To each their own...I prefer braid...

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
I'm lost... are we talking the line on the reel or something else here? :confused:

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
I was wondering the same thing but I'm thinking he means wire or copper stranded line.

Guys use wire on lk Ontario to get deeper and it's pretty strong and the tiny water flees don't attach to it as easy as mono or braid. I ran it once with one of my salmon buddies for walleye because he forgot his braided reels at home, I see zero use for it on Erie and if you get a kink or knot forget it you just ruined it, plus it's a pain to tie knots with when attaches swivels or other connectors and have to let it out very very sloooooooooow.

Use braid IMO.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
There are 2 kinds of stainless wire, monel aka single strand and braided wire aka 7 strand. I use braided wire for deep dipseys for kings, for salmon a must have imo. Monel is/was used more for off of big boards to get depth out of cranks or mini disks etc etc. Alot have gone to a Super Braid (power pro fireline etc etc) but some still swear by the wire.

Copper is used just like leadcore but gets deeper with less line out due to its extra weight. I use this for Salmon but find very little use for it on Erie as Copper really shines when fishen 70 ft down and more and I have never needed that on Erie. Copper is a fragile pain in the butt fish form that I hate but it does put extra fish in the boat so I use it.

Scott

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I think the single strand wire is used for handlining.

Copper rocks...although the Albright knot takes some acclamation. 150' and 300' copper rigs are standard fare on the boats on which I fish on LM in the summer months. Gotta be REALLY careful when you let it out...

Heck..I went on a charter on Lake O last July and the guy had a 600' copper...

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts

This is the single strand stainless rig I use when I fish the Hole.I have 2 rigged like this and usually run deep diver cranks with a spoon when I fish it.Some days they take all the fish when in 70 plus water.
These are actually ocean fly reels but they lend themselves well to wire line.They don't kink the line but take a long time to reel in as they are a 1:1 retrieve.That reel is about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wire I'm talking about is the stainless 7 strand
spooled on a normal trolling set up and used with
dipseys, jets and cranks to get them deeper.
When tying the knot you double the line thru the
swivel, put the swivel thru the loop and tie a simple over
hand knot. Cant get any easier than that. Ontario anglers
claim that you can feel every move, head shake etc.
that a fish makes. Several years ago I used the single
strand and didnt care for it, but it does put fish in the boat
and is but another tool in the arsenal. I'm curious about the 7
strand and its fishability compaired to the mono strand. With
the fishing being so good why not try other methods.
The seven strand is pricey at 45.00 for a 1000 ft spool.
With all the money we have in equipment already whats
another 150.00 or so.

Bill

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
We used the wire strand before they came out with super braids on a couple of our dipsies.There is no real advantage in water less than 70 IMO.It acts just like braid but is even less forgiving if it tangles.
Hippy finally stopped using it last year after convincing himself that braid was just as good but with less hassle.
If you do go with the braided wire you will need to dedicate a rod to it and replace the tip with a roller tip as the wire will cut into your guide.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
With all the money we have in equipment already whats
another 150.00 or so.
Please forward all of your extra money directly to me...

j/k ;)

Twilli tips, roller rods, haywire twists, kinks....no thanks...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts