wire line set-up

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

wondering who runs wire for trolling. i have been thinking about setting up a rod or two for wire and was wondering what the pro's and con's are. keep in mind i usually troll in 50+ and up to 72 FOW

2. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

I have fished wire for salmon fishing, works great, a couple things that I can tell is, wire is expensive, you have to let the line out alot slower than braid, you CANNOT tangle the wire or it's ruined, have to use crimpers and have cutters ready at hand (i'm sure you have this anyway). Wire requires, Twilly Tips or roller guide rods/eyes, which can be expensive. I've used the Twilly tips, they work good and you can add them to any rod without replacing but I would image over time the eyes will get damaged if you plan on using them alot. Roller are what the salmon guys use, that's about all I know.

3. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

Tom i run wire late in the year usually when they get to deep for dipsies, usually 12 lb test wire. The downfalls are that it kinks like crazy, one kink and its tough to get it, let line out, wind fish up ect. Another downfall is the amount of line you need to let out for it, i pull mostly deep jr thundersticks with mine, usually letting out about 300-350 ft of wire- then another 50ft or so of mono backing, run it out the boards, and your looking at 375-425 ft of line out. In all honesty, i wont be running wire this year at all, im busting out the 2-3-4 oz snapweights, you can run those in front of jets, stickbaits,harnesses ect. And only have to let out 100-150 ft usually, thats my $.02. :D

4. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I've thought about wire. I used to use it a long time ago. You can get a dipsy down to 50 ft., so I just don't think it's necessary for me. I can't remember once in the past few years where it was necessary to go deeper than that while on Erie. Just what I think.

5. I'm setting up two rods for Salmon when I head for Lake Ontario Salmon later this year. Used 30# Copper with Twilli Tips last year which worked fine. This year I will be using 30# seven strand SS which seems to be the wire to use with Dipsys on Ontario.

6. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Wouldn't a leadcore setup accomplish the same results with a lot less hassle?

7. I'd think about downriggers. dial in the number and you're pretty much dead-on, also a clean line to fight the fish. I'm pretty much convinced anything over 35 feet and I go to my downriggers. just my two cents

MikeC

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Leadcore is still the same amount of cranking, leadcore at 10 colors to get a bait down 50 or so feet down that is 300 ft of line or so plus your mono leader your still at the 350 ft mark, snap weights are great for getting ANY bait deep I use them on harnesses and cranks every time I fish regardless of where I'm trolling. You can also use inline weights for harnesses and cranks, I have them up to 4 oz and snap weights up to 8 oz I've pulled fish on 6 oz with ripstick off inline boards. I did well in Geneva and Cleveland out deep running 4 oz snap weights with cranks with a total of 120-180 out with a deep diver crank and 3 oz inlines for harnesses and you don't need big boards to run them.

Anyone try the MAG dispey divers yet, less line out deeper running.??

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I tried the Mag Dipsey's this past August in Michigan, man do they pull HARD. Worked great, caught a lot of salmon on them in three days.

The drag is very tight to hold the Mag Dipsey, make sure to back it off right away when a fish hits.

EZ you might want to consider the Mag if you haven't tried them already. A friend of mine used to run wire sometimes, what a pain in the neck.

I thought the leadcore was going to run a lot deeper, thanks for the info.