Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to start a running an 800 series reef runners around 55 to 65 feet down on just one rod to try to tempt "ole clayface". i cant decide what would the best set-up. i have 2 oz. snap weights, but i think ill need more weight to get to that depth. yes, no? i know lead core is an option but i have never ran it, so i have no idea what it's about. i been out on a boat where we ran single strand wire back as far as 250 feet. it just seemed like a lot of wire to me to reach that depth. any suggestions on which method i should choose? thanks:D

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
That's pretty deep...! Do you have any downriggers? If so, you could run a crank off it with the required lead and achieve the rest with the rigger and also stack a spoon or harness above it on the same rigger. Or, 5 to 6 colors of lead should get you close to that depth also.
I've been running a segmented rig with three colors for a couple of years now and it's really a lot easier to tie/rig then it seems. I was pretty skeptical of the knots (in the lead sheating) at first but feel pretty good about them now. Give it a shot...it'll only be $15 min if it breaks. :D

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
I've been wanting to try that, so I went out the the Sportsmans Warehouse and got me some 2 oz. in line banana weights. I have to experiment with this but I'm thinking about tying the weight straight to my mainline and using about a 6' mono leader to the lure and keep letting the line out until I start hitting bottom and reel in from there.....I may need more weight. I also thought about a 3 way swivel with about a 2' dropline to the weight and 4' to the lure......Any thoughts?

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go west where the water is only 30ft deep:D
hardy har har, funny guy:D just because you cant catch fish in water deeper than 12 feet doesn't mean i cant:p

i thought about the downrigger but those are my bread and butter lines. i just usually have a spare rod and thought this would be a good use for it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
interesting idea Ezbite. that's awfully deep. i haven't used wire line ever since i started to use braids. it's worth mentioning that i use 10 lb firewire which gets me just a little deeper than heavier lines because of it's thin diameter. i've never missed the wire since then even tho' i always have a rig with wire line on the boat. leadcore has some advantages but keep in mind that it's speed sensitive, so that if you slow or stop your line will sink, and if you are already fishing that deep it might get tricky.

my suggestions: try a 9A bomber with a three or 4 ounce snap weight ( i usually run the weight a full 75-100 ft in front of the bait because the thin line with no stretch will cause the snap to come off when a big fish fights if it's too close to the bait) with the 10 lb firewire. other baits to try are the lure jenson power diver. those are both deep divers that have put a lot of walleyes in my boat. the reef runners don't dive quite as deep as some other baits. go to 55 ft and see how long a lead you need to get that deep. if i had to fish that deep i'd probably be relying more on the dipsys, or maybe spinners at a slower speed. have caught a lot of fish like that with long leads (and even wire) with dipsys, but that was in the fall and you have to be concerned with the thermocline now (summer time). usually most of your walleying will be at or above that thermocline. i'd probably try a 40 jet with weight in front also, but that would be a spoon program or a crank with a short lip.

hope that helps, pik-n-fin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts