Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the wire extension from the trolling motor wire to the battery. I bought some #6 marine wire, which is recommended by Minnkota, and will use that. This wire is bigger with the insulation than the wire out of the foot control and I don't think any of those squeeze type of connectors will work. I'm not sure I can even find any that are large enough.

This wire lays on my pontoon deck so is somewhat susceptable to water. I need to find a secure way to connect the 2 wires and then waterproof them with something such as shrink wrap or silicone.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Another option is to get some big twist/screw-on wire connectors and fill them with silicone before you screw them on. Twist the wires together before adding the connector. The silicone will ooze out around the wires as you screw them on and seal it up. You can get connectors that will fit 2-#6 wires. If the connection could get yanked on, solder the twisted wires before adding the connector.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
goto the right hard were store and you will find big connectors or do as others have said soder them,or trim some rubber off to fit in connectors,and put shrimk tube on both sides of the wires before hand,

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
solder them ,then shrink tube em
this is the way to go ,it will not corrode and work loose I solder all mine and any I do ..they usually do not corrode or work loose ,,trolling motor would be no big deal but other connections, that come loose on the water,,and shut you down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts