Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into a bunch of wipers today. I caught 14 in 30 minutes. They were all between 13 and 16 inches. At one point I got 9 on consecutive casts. My question is are these good to eat? How big is big enough to keep assuming they taste good? I know they get big and nothing I caught I would consider "big". The biggest fish of the day was a 17 inch smallie. Anyway, I let them all go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm sure they taste like either white bass or stripped bass both are considered a good eating fish. but in all honesty I would practice catch and release on these fish till they get closer to their max size, seeing how they can get far larger then the ones you caught today. and be a much more fun game fish to hook into at that size. and you could take a large one out of the water in a few years that would be more then enough to make a meal out of. imo let them all go till we start seeing a ton of monsters

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with austie on c&r wipers since they lack any real reproduction, but dangggg 9 in a row between 13-16" that sounds like one heck of a day!!! Wipers fight like a smallie on PCP, even at that size they pull drag better than a BIG smallie. I really hope you got into those on a certain river near me, would bode well for my fall...

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you're going to harvest wipers, those smaller wipers are the right ones. If properly handled and trimmed AND prepared fresh, they aren't bad eating.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Got into my PB (Fish Ohio) 22"er tonight. Blazed a twitched crankbait right at the surface, then proceeded bolt (literally) down stream and around a bend. Had to stumble/trip over numerous bolders just to keep up with her. Once I finally caught up that big ol Sob decided to charge straight towards me, then do a 180 and book back out into open water; it was everything I could to to keep up with her. Half of me kept saying "I must have snagged a carp" while my better half said "No, that fish BELTED that crank, it has to be a Wiper" Sure enough a minute or so later that Wiper surfaced and proved my better half was right.

Easily the best fighting fish in our Rivers. Keep Smaller Saugeye and Crappie, let them Wipers get big. Here in a few years they're going to be pushing 25+ inches...I can't even imagine fighting one of those:B:eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice fish! It occurred to me I don't have a way to keep fish. I always c & r and don't own a stringer or basket and my waders don't have a live well

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Got into a bunch with Aj tonight, god i love the sound of the drag peeling!!!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Does anyone catch these at buckeye any more? I had my pb hybrid from buckeye around 12 years ago. 27" fish. Didn't have a camera and some guy took a pic for me and said he'd mail it to me. Never got it :(

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Nice fish fellas...as for eating hybrids, they are AWESOME if prepared right...cut the redline out of the filet and you're good. We eat em from TN on our trips, and they are killer.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Nice fish fella's!! Sure looks and sounds like a blast.
I am yet to feel the strength of these badboys!!

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Nice fish fella's!! Sure looks and sounds like a blast.
I am yet to feel the strength of these badboys!!
Honestly you Bass guys don't want to feel the strength of these fish, you'll give up on Bass fishing entirely. Pound for pound they put smallmouth to shame, last night I kept on blurting out "So %#[email protected]# FAST" every time i had one on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts