close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winton Woods today

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by traphunter, Jun 20, 2004.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Went there today for a few hours and we caught about 60 bluegills and warmouths. :p I was hoping to do some carp or catfishing but I never seen the first carp jump in either winton woods or sharon woods. :confused: I figured they would be loaded but oh well it was fun anyways. :cool:

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds like a good day, I was actually considering going to Winton yesterday for some carp, sounds like they wern't cooperating. Is it generally loaded with them?

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I dont know if it has carp in it or not. That was the first time I had been there. :eek: I just figured it would for some reason or the other. Sharon woods lokked really carpy. :cool:

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Oh there are carp in there. I have never fished for them there but saw them jumping last may and june when I bass fished there a few times.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

winton is my home lake and it is loaded with carp. There are way too many of them in there, and they don't grow very big b/c of it. Tough to catch a 5 lb carp. But you can catch carp all day long on corn, once they get off of the cicada bite. I fish in carp tournaments there that are three hours long and between 11 boats there were over 200 lbs of carp brought in and only 4 fish were 5 lbs or better so that tells you how many fish were actually caught. Anywhere in the lake is good for carp, just throw some corn near some brush. bring a cooler and take them somewhere else please ;) I wouldn't waste my time fishing for carp at sharon. I have never seen a carp come from sharon, but I'm sure they are in there, just not many. Winton is the small carp capital of the world!

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Bassnpro1, Thanks for correcting me on the amount of carp in the lake. :eek: That makes me want to go back down there and give it a second try. :) Is there any good spots to bank fish for the carp there? I just wondered because I saw alot of places along the bank that said NO FISHING. Thats wierd because I never saw the first jump there i dont think. :confused: :)

7. Bassnpro1

bank access is poor at Winton Woods. The two bank fishing areas are poor for fishing, and in order to get to fish , you would have to rent a boat, or go to the dam which is very tricky to get to and you could fish there and catch carp. If you go back and rent a boat, I can direct you to where you could get into fish, just give me a PM. Take it easy

8. OhioAngler

OhioAngler Snag Master

I fished Winton yesterday. Caught tons of blue gill, one carp & one cat (both on crappie jigs!), and 6 nice crappie - all over 12 inches. It seems like Winton Lake has really improved since the dredging several years ago. I have lived next to it for 30 years and the fishing this year is the best I have experienced there.

9. Bassnpro1

did you head down towards the dam side of the lake? Crappies are the one fish I get get a handle on at Winton. I can never find bigger crappie. I was just curious, I normally fish for bass, and for crappies just a time or two in the spring. Thanks

10. HEY FELLAS sharon is my home lake and i know there is no carp in there :cool: ...but just as of as yesterday i did see some med size gold fish in front of the b/house.so maybe later on we'll have carp.....I guest i would'nt mind the carp for the fight....but i'am mostly a keepers fisher. ;) but i'll tell ya what winton does have some nice size crappies..12-15"

11. OhioAngler

OhioAngler Snag Master

Bassnpro1:

I've always had my best success at the end of the lake that has the dam. The shoreline and coves directly across from the campground and down to the dam is usually good.

12. Hi everyone,

New to the forum here and will also be new to the Ohio area, still looking to buy a house out there, but a prerequisite is having the house near a lake. I'm a huge bass fisherman, living in Pennsylvania right now with access to 4 lakes within walking distance. Gonna be hard to leave, but if i can find some places out there I might not miss it as much

Winton lake seems to be as close to where I'm going to be working and I was wondering what the bass fishing in there is like? Or any other areas around with some good bass fishing? Also any areas I should avoid looking at houses? Thanks much in advance

13. Bassnpro1

winton can be a decent bass lake. You have to rent the boats however to get after them. The bass seem to be caught on everything as long as your pounding the shoreline. An average day for me say 5 hours of fishing would net me 5-7 bass with around 4 being over 12" and one or two around 2 lbs.

The farther from downtown you get, the better the living areas are generally with the exception of Hamilton.

14. I had a 2 foot catfish grab a white rooster tail there last week. Unfortunately I broke my four pound test trying to get him unhooked from a steep bank. I had hiked in past the ballfields by the Parcour/Frisbee golf area. I didn't realize at the time, but as others have mentioned, bank fishing is only permitted near the boathouse. I however, didnt see any signs & that's still my story.

You can use your own canoe or kayak on Winton. Just to the right of the boathouse is a launch area. Hard to see at first, it's a plastic dock that sits just at the waterline. You can slide your bpat in and out with out scraping it all to heck. You're asked to register your boat at the boathouse if you plan to use it on the lake (FYI the boathouse is only open on weekends now, but you might be able to accomplish this weekdays at the Ranger station west off main Winton Rd entrance.)

From the Hamilton County Park Webiste:
    "This 188-acre, flood-control lake underwent an extensive restoration project from 1995 to 1997 when 930,000 cubic yards of silt were removed from the lake. Fishing is by rental boat only; both electric and gasoline motors up to 6 horsepower are permitted on Winton Lake. Anglers may fish from the bank free of charge at Old Mill Valley and at designated areas at Winton Harbor. Licensed private canoes and kayaks are permitted; call the boathouse for details (513) 931-1849."

15. traphunter

traphunter Guest

man this one came from the graveyards.

16. about those canoe and Kayak permits...the boathouse has been out of those since about mid july. I worked there and we didn't recieve anymore so i think you can just launch your boat. But maybe call and ask them, they might have recieved more?

And about the bass fishing. Listen to basspro1. The bass fishing there is awesome. My averages this summer for a normal day were about the same he said his were. I got atleast 5 or so fish that were more than 2.5 lbs. It was a good summer for the bass.

And for the winton woods carp...there are literally TONS of them in the lake and please take them out. I worked the carp tourneys there over the summer....one team had a total of about 38lbs with no more than 8 fish. One of the carp was 11+lbs. It was a BEAST. so they are in there and corn is the way to go.