Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winton Woods 6/28

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bassnpro1, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Well, I bought a new crankbait and wanted to try it out, so I hit the lake in the morning. This crankbait caught a little of everything. I caught 5 species of fish on it! I caught 2 bass in the first half hour, one was 13 1/4" and the other was a nice 15.5" fish! I thought I was going to have a great day, but the bass stopped biting after that and I starting catching a couple bluegills and 1 pumpkinseed. Then something large smacked my new crankbait and it turned out to be a nice channel cat. I am just guessing at the weight, but I would say around 6 lbs maybe. It was a great fight, esp since I didn't have a net and had to grab him to get him in the boat. Then I caught a bullhead catfish on my crankbait and another channel a little bit later around 3-4 lbs. Then I managed a couple small crappie on another bank and ended up finishing my day with another 13 1/4" bass. My crankbait did a good job, its first day out, not if could jsut stop catching channel cats, b/c I don't have time to deal with them if I am in a tournament. here are some pics of my day.

First bass of the day. Fish just wont stay still for a photo so I held him there
    15.5" bass, good solid keeper( they get a little longer when you don't hold them for the photo)
    An action shot of the channel in case I lost him while trying to grab him into the boat. You can see my crankbait lodged in him.
  2. That sounds like one good crankbait!

I might have to try Winton Woods since it is only 5 min from my house. Do they allow you to launch your own boat?

3. Bassnpro1

here is the channel in the boat. the board is 21" long, but he wouldn't lay there for me :mad:
    My bullhead. first one I have caught on a crankbait.
    My 2nd channel cat that I got on my crank, guessing 3lbs?
    My last bass of the day. Caught around 12:30, and it actually sat there for its picture.
  4. Bassnpro1

They allow you to launch canoes and kayaks. Let me know when you want to go and we can get a boat, I have the motors and everything and I will show you the lake for the next time you go. I can get a boat for free since I used to work there so that works out good.
  5. for bass, is winton woods the best hamilton county lake? how would it compare to whitewater or sharon woods? i've fished WW and sharon and just caught some little ones. I will have to give it a try sometime. in terms of size, how big is ww?
  6. Bassnpro1

WW is my favorite county lake, b/c it seems more consistent to me than whitewater or sharon. Sharon woods has huge numbers of bass, but they are all small, you could fish all day and catch 20 bass and only have tow or three over 12" Whitewater is so hit or miss, but sometimes it can be great. Winton Woods is 188 acres and really long, like 11 miles of shoreline. WW has a good population of 11-15" fish. if you ever want to hit the lake with me just let me know and we can go and find some fish.
  7. Any one know what kind of weights have been winning the park sponsored bass tourneys?

8. Id love to try out winton woods but I just cant seem to get out there even though I work just north of it
  9. Bassnpro1

Dan, the weights all depend. I know the last one at Winton which was a wednesday nighter, was won with 5 bass that went aroudn 7 lbs. I would say that is pretty typical weight. If you want to fish a tourny with me, just let me know. My normal partner is at Ft. Jackson for basic training this summer and I need a partner. I have a 6 hp motor and a trolling motor.
  10. when are the tournaments held?

where can i find info on them????
  11. Do you have to rent boats for the hamilton county tourneys?
  12. Bassnpro1

yep you have to rent a boat