Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to winton this morning cause I don't think I've ever fished it before. I've heard its mostly carp and catfish so I took a can of sweet corn and fished the bank near the middle of the lake toward the eastern side. I fished for about 3 hours and caught 2 carp and 2 shovelheads. The lake is only about 5 minutes from my house maybe less so I'd like to fish it a bit more. Does anyone know of any good places there to fish?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just curious, are you talking about the lake at Winton Woods park (Hamilton county)?

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Does anyone know of any good places there to fish?
The best places to fish are only accessible by renting a boat. But any area down by the dam is good. generally speaking, if you can see the dam, you are in a decent spot. The best fishing is around cover and Winton has plenty of laydowns to target. These laydowns are good for every species of fish.

Corn is a great bait there and on the right day you can really get into the carp. Channel cats are tougher to come by though. They are in there but I have never really caught good numbers of them.

A wax worm near the laydowns will wear you out catching the bluegills and green sunfish.

Also on another note, the two fish you said were shovelheads were more than likely bullhead catfish. There are some flatheads in there, but in really low numbers, while the bullhead populations are extremely heathy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks! I was curious about the flatheads there...I've never been but per the Hamilton county parks website, I thought it was just channel cats and bullheads.

A fish is a fish regardless! That's better than I've been doing lately!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts