close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winterizing your baby

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by LakeRaider, Nov 29, 2004.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

OK Guys, its time! Winter outside storage. Drain the lower unit . Replace the lube. After its drained and refilled , drain off 1oz. to allow for expansion next time you run the motor. Pull the aluminum prop off and tell the wife-"ya'know, if this was stainless it would save a lot of time")Store the motor so the lower unit is down below level.Take your batteries out and put them inside and charge them. Take your depth finders off and store them inside. Give your bearing buddies a pump or two of grease. Remember, if the caps start to move, thats enough grease. Take a look at your trailer lites. See water in them? Pull the covers and get the water out. If you have sealed units and see condensation in them, unplug them, pull the units out and bring them inside. Make sure you pull the drain plug out for the winter. ALL THE DRAIN PLUGS! Bilge, livewells,
    baitwells, etc. Now, spray some lube on the steering cable at the motor and turn the motor all the way to the left (turn the wheel to the left) so the inner cable sleeve is inside the outer cable. Grease all the motor zerks to get the water out. I,m not going into the issue of fogging the motor, but I do spin mine a bit with the kill switch pulled to make sure there is no water in the impellor. Make sure the front of the boat is above level to allow water to drain out. Take EVERYTHING out of the boat. Life jackets, rods, tackleboxs,
    etc. Store them in the bedroom! Pray for early warm weather! LoL. Oh yeah, one more thing. Ya' know the little plate that saz' "I am the Captain of this ship, and I have my wifes permission to say so!". Now is the time of year to cover it with duct tape!!! Real men pull the motor and store it in the living room! :cool: yA' KNOW, IF THE WIFEY DIDN,T HAVE TO PARK IN THE GARAGE WE COULD AVOID ALL THIS NONSENSE!!! :D Later, Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Thats Good Info There Raider..what Time Of Day Will You Be Up Here To Do Mine?.......lol.........