close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winterize your boat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

What do you do to store your boat for the winter?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

search the boats and motors forum,and you'll find plenty of info :)

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

since i use my boat most if not all of the winter i don,t do anything, if you want to winterize it here is what i would do, #1 run the motor out of gas and than fog it, #2 any remaining gas in the tank i would put gas stabilizer in with it that way the gas is good to go next season, #3 drain the lower unit of all the oil this way if you had any water in with the oil you don,t have to worry about the lower unit freezing and cracking, when you drain the lower unit pay attention to the color of the oil if its a milky color than it has water in it and you may want to concider changing the seal behind the prop, #4 pull your drain plug on the rear of the boat and leave out, #5 evrything you do write a list and next season just reverse the procedures to have it ready to get on the water, you should be able to do all of this in 5 or 6 hours or so, i may have to winterize my boats this winter due to my knees i don,t know if or how much i,ll get out on the river, good luck.......................... :cool:

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

As long as there is no ice on the water my boat will be on a lake. I always put fuel stabilizer in the tank at the end of the season. It is good to have it run through the whole motor. I also disconnect the fuel line and run out the gas when I think there is a chance I may not get the boat back on the water until spring. I always change my lower unit oil at the end of the season also. If you need to fix the seal you can get it done before next season and have fresh oil and be ready to go on the first nice day of spring. Once I know it may start to get temps near or below freezing I store the boat with the motor in a strait up and down position. These motors are designed to drain any water if stored this way and it wont freeze and cause any problems. My parents always fog their motor, but I never do and have never had a problem. I have many buddies with high dollar outboards that refuse to fog theirs and don't beleive it is needed and they have never had problems either. It is to hard to start and run well the first couple times out in the spring. I keep my boat indoors which I think helps also, but I have no proof for that to be true.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

The motors with carberators should be fogged. The EFI motors do not need fogged. Put in stabilizer and run the motor a while, I put it in then use the boat until the gas is down to about 1/4 tank or so. There is stabilizer that has fogging oil in it that makes it easy to use. If your boat has a low center you can also dump some RV anti-freeze in to that low area and not have to worry about it freezing. RV type does not hurt the water or enviroment.

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I use to take mine to where i bought it and have it done.What they would do is change the lower unit,fog the carbs.and put fuel stab. in it.Thought this year i'd put the stablizer in,not fog the carbs and have the lower unit changed.I have to keep mine outdoors.I keep the motor down.And store the batteries in doors.
    I wanted to see if anyone done anything i might have overlooked.Past two years i'd have mine put up by now,but i still have some time to fish

7. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I've always heard it's better to have the fuel tank full for winter storage.less room for condinsation.

8. What do you use to fog the carbs?

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Go to any marine sales and ask for fogger(your in Akron, I know Norton Marine has it). It comes in a spray can like spray paint.

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

ncraft150-
    They make a fuel stabilizer thathas fogging oil in it. My nephew is the head mechanic for boat boys and says he uses it. Does both fuel stabilize and fogging at the same time. Lots easier than fogging the motor. As for the tank being full, doesn't really make a difference if you use stabilizer in it. I never leave mine full and never have had a problem in over 20 years, both here and in our motors and boats we leave in Canada.