close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

winterize motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BIGG MAN, Nov 6, 2004.

1. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

do you have to winterize your motor evan if you have not had it in water all year.it turn over but want start so how would i winterize if it want start. thank for any help i can get (Joe)

2. Ive Been Using Pink Antifreeze. Take A Section Of Garden Hose And Funnel And Connect It To Your Muffs. Hold Funnel Above Motor And Pour Until Seen From Your Tell Tale Hole At The Top. Make Sure You Us Pink Because It Is Bio-degradable. Jig

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Joe, pull the plugs and spray wd40 in the cyclinders then pull the motor over a few times. This should be all you have to do. If it's been in the water at all make sure it's totally drained. You will be good the rest of the winter.

4. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

thanks dale and jig for your help. hook n book thanks .it is an outboard

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Joe,
    Do you have an outboard or I/O? What Dale said is good info. Use WD40 or fogging oil which is available at any marine supply store. If you have an inboard use RV/marine antifreeze. Pull the hoses off the water cooling jackets and drain any water that may be in there. Then pull the hoses at the water pump and drain. Reinstall all the hoses and tighten clamps. Pull the hoses to the thermostat and pour the antifreeze in until it overflows. Also, drain the oil in the lower unit and replace. You should be good to go for next year.