close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

winterize motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ken, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Ken

Ken KLN

This is the first year I tried to winterize my sons boat motor it is an 350 i/o. please let me know if I did it right or if I missed something. Sprayed some fogging stuff in the carb. Then removed both exhaust manifolds drain bolts. Removed both drain bolts on the sides of the motor let all the water drain out (Ihope).Reinstalled all plugs. Took off thermostat cover and filled motor with almost 4 gal. of antifreeze water mix 1gal antifreeze to 3/4 gal of water.Then filled all hoses. Anything else I should do.

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yeah, I was going to mention, check the lower unit, pull the top plug & make sure ther's no water in it, change it is even better as it's a good idea to do that annually anyway.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

What type of antifreeze did you use???? If you used the RV type it's not necessary to cut it with water. It's better to use it straight for better protection. It's less than $3/gal. and you shouldn't need more than 2 gallons to complete the job. Have the outdrive all the way down when filling with the antifreeze and fill until it runs out the outdrive and you're done with it. As was mentioned above, drain the lower unit and check for any water in the oil. If no water is found, reinstall plug and refill with the proper type of lubricant. If you find traces of water you need to have the out drive pulled and replace the seals. It's a good idea to pull the hoses off the water pump to get that water out too. Repack the hubs on your trailer with a good quality axel grease. Leave the drain plug out (store it on the dash with a note). Check owners manual for repacking interval of the universal joints in the outdrive. This is something that is commonly overlooked and came be a huge expense if not done routinely. Lastly, spray a mildew/fugicide on all interior surfaces to control growth. Cover outdrive with a heavy gage plastic bag and tie it off tight (Punch a weep hole in bottom of bag). Leave outdive in the down position so the bellows are not extended. This can cause destortion and possible tearing.Cover boat so any rain or snow will roll off and you don't get any standing water on cover.