Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing for wipers on and off while fishing for saugeye for the past couple weeks. But since the saugeye bite has started to taper off I've decided to target wipers. I have been slow rolling 3.25 inch lemon shad joshys, rattle traps, x-raps, and jerkbaits with not much success. All of these baits worked well during the warmer months but aren't producing anymore. Do you guys use different tactics and lures during the colder months or are the fish just harder to come by?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Location often changes and that may be the problem. As far as tactics spoons/blades and swimbaits are the go to presentations. But when the water drops below 40-42 degrees the bites are very hard to come by. It can happen but you are better off fishing for saugeye in temps that cold
Thanks for the feedback, I was worried that the case but I didn't want to believe it haha. I'll probably go back to fishing for saugeye which is probably a good idea considering there's reports that more big females are being caught now.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
wipers? you talking of striper/white bass hybrids? winter in Eastern TN we look for flocks of gulls on the lakes as the striper/hybrids are pushing the baitfish to the surface. we then do "run and gun" - cut the engine and drift close by and start casting surface lures. as ristorap said, we also use umbrella rigs with rubber minnows - limited to 3 hooks in TN so if rigged with more than 3 minnows, some are hookless. we will even throw large white streamers with fly gear.

as for live bait, anything big works well. will put behind an inline planer board and very slowly troll it around with electric motor. when that bass comes up, the bait will go crazy and start pulling that board all over the place. then, hold on...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.