close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter storm comin' to town

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Dec 21, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

This storm coming up the I-71 corridor looks to be a big one. The weather forecasters are calling for areas to get 12-18 inches. Outlying areas to the main storm track will still get a pile of snow. They are also calling for up to 25 mph winds in some places creating considerable drifting snow.

It is just real bad timing since there are alot of people traveling at the same time for Christmas. My Cousin and her family are leaving Thursday from Cincinnati, up I-71 to my Grandmother's, in Brimfield (Near Akron and Kent). The hardest hit areas are supposed to be Dayton to Mansfield to Cleveland.

Real bad timing for countless loved ones. I hope they decide to delay coming up till Friday.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i hear ya there..i hope its all OK too..got people coming in on 2 flights xmas afternoon/evening.. :( cold trip..

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

when you decipher what they say it means scaterred flurries.. hate too tie a rope on and shovel ice off the ponds..hehe..

sowbelly

4. I've got to drive down to the south Dayton 'burbs from Cleveland on Thursday and this ain't going to be fun in my car. I really have got to get a 4 wheel drive!

Steve

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

let's hope they are wrong as usual!

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

My Cousin and her family are coming Friday now. They are going to wait for the road crews to get the roads under control. Smart move!

I am curious to see how this storm pans out. Even though I hate driving in the snow, I find big storms fascinating. This might turn out to be a decade-size storm as far as one day accumultions in alot of areas. Tommorrow evening (4pm-4am) in the Akron/Cleveland area, seems to be the time the storm is at it's peak.

:D There is one certain satellite installation, scheduled 3-5 pm in Chagrin Falls, that is not going to get done!! :D ;) I will head home before that! Sorry to the would-be Dish customer if you are a member here. You'll have to reschedule! :cool:

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I hope I'm wrong on this. Actually I hope the forecasters are wrong on this !!

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'm hearing different forecast from everyone..lol.. don't know who to trust when it comes to weather.. :D

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I love the snow! Bring it on! The more the merrier!!! I'm hoping for a good
    20-30" but I know that won't happen.
    Right now in Brecksville it is coming down hard.
    I do feel sorry for the travelers who don't know how to drive in the snow.
    The 5-10" that we may get out of this is a pittance compared to the folks in the snow belt along Erie. A few people at work received almost 2 feet of lake effect snow from last Sunday/Monday's blow.

10. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Break out the snowmobiles!!!

flash---------------------------out

11. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Morning All,

Stuck at work outside of Springfield, its really coming down. Real small flakes. Winds are variable, 5-10 mph. I bet we've gotten 2" since 0700. Backroads were pretty bad coming in.

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I will be heading to work down 71 here soon break out the jimmy and the 4x4

13. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Looking out my office window in Canton and not much to talk about. Small flakes on and off. Looking at the weather map it appears Canton is just outside the storm.

flash----------------------------out

14. I guess I would not pay lay much faith in the weather maps. I am in Knox county which had smow start in at just around 8:00-8:30. It came pretty steady for a while and put maybe an inch down. I looked at the weather map to see if we were "in" the storm front yet(no window in my office). By the look of it, I figured it was really getting it going. Well I walked down the hall and looked out and...nothing. Right now it looks calm and still just the 1" at the most. I am sure it will get the snow machine fired up again later. But I will believe the 8-12" they are predicting for us only when it puts it down. Often times they tend to error on the high side on their snowfall predictions.:rolleyes:

15. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! lives about 30 miles NE of Cincinnati, and we have NOTHING. Just a little ice......... Side note......just got my electric back after 12 hours without :eek: Good old country living. But we are always prepared out this way, with back up heat.......but it still is a pain in the arse sitting around in the freakin dark doimg nothing........Just saw where Dayton is getting hammered........ You all be careful !!!....... THE CATKING !!!

16. It's 11:30AM right now,and the snow is really coming down.Just guessing,I'd say about 3" has come down so far.Our local weather station is predicting for 6"-10" more by late evening.So glad I get to drive to Erie,PA and Dunkirk,NY tomorrow morning!

17. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Columbus has been getting it all morning, ground is covered, an inch at best.

18. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

What's Christmas without the white stuff?

It's time to ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

So says Rich Apuzzo of Fox News here in Cincinnati- WXIX Channel 19. He's actually one of the better forecasters here. Here's his news e-mail:

The winter storm is upon us and everything is going as planned. As of noon, 3 to 6 inches of snow has already hit southeast Indiana and a lot more is on the way! I have heard from folks on the east side...Clermont and Brown counties...who have not seen a flake, but radar shows that they are about to get nailed. Everyone will get a good accumulation out of this one, and the morning models are even more impressive with snow amounts. I know you all have a lot going on with school closures, errands to run, shopping to do, etc. so I will keep this email as brief as possible.

The storm center is just now forming near Houston, Texas, and once it does, it will race northeast Buffalo, New York by midday tomorrow! That is the worst (or best if you're me) possible track for snow for the Tri-State, and it means we will likely have a record-breaking storm here by tonight and early tomorrow. You may recall the pieces to my puzzle yesterday...upper-level storm, moisture and arctic air...well, they're all coming together now. The storm near Houston will bring amazing amounts of tropical moisture north tonight. As of noon we're in the upper 20s around the Tri-State, and temperatures are falling. The colder it gets outside, the more snow the air will fall with this storm and this storm may be one you remember the rest of your life. Immediately following the snow, bitter cold air will rush into the region with highs in the low teens and lows below zero Friday and Saturday, only rebounding to near 30 by Sunday...if we're lucky.

If you're a snow-lover, fasten your seatbelts for this... I just looked at the morning models and this storm is generating moisture amounts I have never seen before with a winter storm, including the February storm from 1998 that dumped 18 inches here. Both of our major U.S. models are producing 2 inches of liquid right over, and to the east and west of Cincinnati! With a typical 10 to 1 ratio for snow, that would mean 20 inches! This storm will have about a 15 to 1 ratio by late tonight. If you're doing the math at home, you know that we have the "potential" to see more than 20 inches of snow, which would make this storm the largest in Cincinnati history. Since the main precipitation type has been snow, and a wintry mix seems less likely now, this could get very interesting.

The storm will pass by between midnight and 5 AM tonight then move quickly to New York by lunchtime tomorrow. As the low gets close, there is the possibility that some sleet or freezing rain will mix in east of Cincinnati, but most areas will see blinding snow and the possibility of thunder and lightning! The snow will taper off by midday tomorrow.
    Since a half foot has already hit southeast Indiana, I predict that you folks living there will see 16 to 20 inches of snow, with blowing snow by late tonight. Cincinnati, areas just north and south, will get 10 to
    15 inches (though much more is possible) and areas east of Cincinnati will get 4 to 9 inches. If the models are correct, all of these numbers will go up.

Once again, tell everyone share this email with everyone you know and they can even sign up to get there own by going to the bottom of our homepage at www.fox19.com <http://www.fox19.com/> . Under the Fox19 eNews area, click on "What's Up With Weather", type in your email address and click on "Submit". Gather the family and friends around the TV set and keep it on FOX 19. We're doing hourly updates through the afternoon and I will have the latest as the heaviest snow approaches tonight on the Ten O'Clock News. This is way too much fun!-----------------

This guy gets ALL excited about bad weather- he loves it! He sends out an e-mail if you subscribe to the TV stations website- it has this report. He has the highest "ON Target" percentage of the local weather guys, so he's pretty good. He says 20"- that is AWESOME!!!

UFM82

20. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

This white crap hasn't stopped here since 5am or so this morning..I've cleared my sidewalks 3 times and you can't even tell I did it once. :eek:

If anyone has to drive in this stuff, be extrememly careful. I just took the wife to work and I think we did more sliding than anything else.

I gotta move South......I can't take this anymore.. :(

From whiotv.com (Dayton Ohio):

Thursday: A.M. snow tapering to flurries. Total accumulation of 10"-15" possible. Blustery and colder with an early high in the mid 20s, then temperatures falling in the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015