Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fish some of my "winter holes" on the Chagrin this weekend since the weatherman decided to turn the clock back to January and I'm not a redd guy. I was pretty pleased with the success I had, and even more amazed by the lack of fishermen on the river. On Saturday I landed 7 or 8 at my first stop, and then about 10 more a little upriver. Couldn't get a hit on minnows, but jig and maggots were the key. In the morning they would only hit something dark. By the afternoon, olive or brown were the hot color of choice. Overall this was my best day on the river this season. I had a better day at a powerplant, but that's completely different kind of fishing. One thing I did notice was that there were a lot of small fish caught. From talking to a guy, it seemed like the bigger fish came in and moved up on Friday.

I went back out this morning to the same spots and there was a lot of slush (why is there slush in April)??? I went to a spot where fighting the slush is easy, and picked up one nice male. That was it for the morning, and then the slush got too bad.

Every fish caught this weekend was very fresh, so there should be a nice batch of fish in the river for everyone. Get out while you can, it won't last long.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hey Archman! Nice Job on the Steelies. Sounds like you got into them pretty heavy. Too COOL!!!!!!!:B :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Way to go Joel. Sounds like a great day! I hope to get out later in the week if the rain doesn't blow the rivers and/or they are not frozen again??. How did the Chagrin look? Was it green? Got any :B pics?:D -Keith

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith,

The color was a perfect green. The flow went up this morning, but the color was still perfect.

Yaj, don't give up yet. You'll hook into one if you keep at it. Look at Liquidsoap, it took him forever and now he's the king. Click on this link if you want proof! :)

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=63063

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Keith,

The color was a perfect green. The flow went up this morning, but the color was still perfect.

Yaj, don't give up yet. You'll hook into one if you keep at it. Look at Liquidsoap, it took him forever and now he's the king. Click on this link if you want proof! :)
You better believe I am king! :D
Its just like anything else, it takes time. :)

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
they were gettin them at the rock today. below the first riffle towards the ramps. i got 1 on a rapala. ol'cranky was closed .so i had no bait.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hey archmann,
Glad to here there is another steelheader around that is not a redd ripper, ""oops"" I mean fisherman. Nothing burns me more than to see a fish get ripped from the redds. There's to many other fish throughout the river system this time of the year people could be fishing for. Good job you are a true SPORT FISHERMAN and you should be proud of it.
TRIPLE-J

·
Tom B.
3,876 Posts
I don't steelhead fish, so pardon what may be a dumb question. I understand that redd is spawning, but what is archman not doing to be "sportsmanlike"?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A few people think it's sportsmanlike to see a fish doing its business on the redds and drift an offering down in front of its mouth and than giving it a swift pull to hook the fish in or near the mouth. Seen it a thousand times this time of year. This is what he's not doing, and he is actually targetting the other fish that are in transition on the river.
TRIPLE-J

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not saying one way is sportsmanlike, I just don't like targeting fish that I can see. Everyone has their preferences. Many of these fish are all beat up when you bring them in from the redds. I prefer to leave them alone at that time, but that's just my preference.

·
multi species angler
4,365 Posts
I'm not saying one way is sportsmanlike, I just don't like targeting fish that I can see. Everyone has their preferences. Many of these fish are all beat up when you bring them in from the redds. I prefer to leave them alone at that time, but that's just my preference.
Same here. That is one of the reasons that I very rarely steelhead fish in the spring. Let them do there thing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
hmm, I dislike fishing blind and I prefer to target specific fish when it comes to steelhead. which is why I fish the feeder streams mostly and stay out of the bigger rivers. especially when flyfishing. flyshishing has always reduced fishing to you and a particular fish or spot where a fish might be. at least for me. I dont fish the redds though, when it comes to those fish, I like to catch them by hand if I can. usually I cant. I dont care if people fish for those fish, this isnt Oregon, and these fish dont reproduce. which to me makes all the difference in the world as far as I'm concerned.

me, I'm going out tomorrow morning and hopefully tuesday morn. when the weather warms, and if we get that rain thats predicted for wednesday the rivers will blow out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
simply put..... more fisherman who fish redds do not do it properly or ethically.

More fish end up snagged then actually caught. Bedsides why would you want to catch a fish that is ten ft away from you in less then a foot of water. Far less challenging if you ask me. And unfair.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts