Winter Fishing

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by creekrock, Dec 7, 2008.

1. creekrock

creekrock Member

Hello everybody,

Is there any place in the counties of Hardin, Hancock, or Allen that has decent winter fishing? I do not have any ice fishing equipment or know anything about it. I know a little about the Saugeye in Indian Lake (Logan County) from reading some past posts. Do they fish below the dam at IL? I am not looking for secret spots or techniques just for someone to point me in the right direction. By the way, I do not even own a fillet knife. I have no problem with folks keeping the fish they catch but I am lazy and find it easier and more reliable to buy my fish at the store. In addition, I am not only interested in game fish; I would like to hear tips or ideas for rough fish as well.

Good fishing and hunting,

Creekrock

2. ress

ress

Not sure if you have been reading this site very long, but keep checking daily and you can put together a plan. The idea is to start simple! A simple ice rod and reel and a few ice jigs and wax worms, and a 5 gallon bucket to sit on. The hole in the ice is the biggest concern for a newbie! Find a hand held ice auger that drills holes 5 or 6 inches wide. Watch other fishermen and ask questions, most offer help when asked. Make sure you check the forum, Hard Water Disscussion.

3. creekrock

creekrock Member

Thanks for the info Ress, I will give it a try. I was looking online and ice fishing equipment is less expensive than I thought. However is an ice fishing reel and line necessary or can I get away with just an ice fishing rod and use a standard reel and line?

In the meantime is there a dam in the Findlay/Kenton/Lima area people fish below in the winter?

4. To start out with if you have fishing rod that comes apart at the middle you can take the top half and duct tape a regular ultralight sized reel to it you will be set. Or look for an old style ice fishing rod that just has the 2 posts on it to wrap your line around instead of a reel which dosent cost much at all , I found one at a garage sale but you can get them on ebay or somewhere else online. These work just fine fishing with a jig and live bait. When you get into jigging spoons, etc. you may want to upgrade then. But these are just suggestions as a way to start out that wont cost you much and you can catch just as many fish with them , there are plenty of other options out there if you want to spend the money.

5. Ahh... yonder is a wise one. take his advise, dont get too much money wrapped up in the gear untill you know you like it. i have 5 ice combo's because a buddy went out and spent 300.00 on ice fishing gear and he hated it.Just because it catches you'r interest,doesn't mean you will like it.Since you are new to the ice seen, the best advise I can give you is BE CAREFULL. thin ice could kill you.Look at places like K-mart, Wall-mart, crap like that . Sometimes they have ice combo's for $10.00-$15.00. Buy a cheap one, if you like it get some nice ones later. Good luck. B.L.

6. ress

ress

One note: fish tend to inhail the bait and not hit the bait in the winter time as we have seen with the camara. Remember they are in winter mode, not useing much energy. Useing a VERY sencetive rod and very light line,( I use 2# test) and even a spring bobber can help. I think if you read the available web sites you will catch on what I mean, Ice-shanty.com is one and there are many others. Useing a normal reel is ok if you change the line. You do not want ANY curl what so ever.

7. ao203

ao203 member

i cant afford a flasher or a camera, anybody got any tips to help make it alittle more successful, or do i just have to keep drilling a hole and praying. i bought the basics last year and enjoy going but seems like no matter how many places i drill its barron. would like to get some perch or walleye this year

8. ress

ress

Keep watching here and other web sights. For the most part it's a crapp shoot! As always if you here of a place that is producing and go there ready to slay'em and they say "should have been here yesterday". It takes awhile to learn the winter fishing deal. Don't get disscuraged, like I did. I can sit right next to my buddy and he is put'n fish on the ice and I'am begging for a bite, but the good times is worth it. There are days that I'am catching the most and he's bitch'n and I'am laughing so hard it hurts.

9. Same here , though I did invest in a $32 flasher from ebay. Its old and may not work as good as the newer ones but I will give it a try. Im definately considering a short trip up into michigan for better chances of catching perch but ice fishing around here has to be done for the love of getting out there on the ice whether you catch anything or not.....usually not , as far as I can tell. I usually end up ready to quit and never do it again by the end of winter because Im not doing any good but then Im all excited and cant wait to go out there again.

10. Look for maps of the lakes you plan to fish and target specific areas. Weedline/drop offs/humps tend to hold more fish.

Look down the holes. I know this sounds stupid, but it was my poor mans camera. If the clarity is good and you can block out the light you can see pretty good.

Go with someone who has ice fished before. You can greatly reduce the learning curve.

Buy a few tip ups. Increases your coverage area and also provides for some excitement when the flags go up.

Move till you find fish. A mobile ice fisherman is a succesful one. it helps keep you warm as well.

Good Luck

11. As for looking down the hole.... Ive noticed that if you are not in a shanty of some sort its almost impossible to block out all the light above the ice, has anybody ever tried bringing along a cardboard box with the bottom cut out and a hole in the top. Put the bottom over the hole and look down thru the top hole,...this is an idea I havent tried yet but seems like a good idea to block out all the light and see more clearly down into the water for those who dont use a shanty.

12. ress

ress

Nope, never have seen that befor, it sounds like a good idea tho. The only time that I have seen anything looking in a hole was in Michigan in water about 6ft. deep. Around here and Erie the water clairity is only 3 to 6 ft.

13. Water clarity can make lookin down the holes tough, but it is really cool when you can see.

Also use a large clip on weight to find the bottom. crank up a couple turns and then you know where to start.

14. ao203

ao203 member

better start the patent work before somebody else does

15. Ha ha!... thats alright, theres not much money to be made from a cardboard box with a hole in it. The idea is free and open to spend a big chunk of money on the patent work if'n they want to. :)

16. creekrock

creekrock Member

Thanks for the advice Ress, Younderfishin, Back Lash, ao203, and Hoosier Daddy. I cannot wait to get some basic equipment and give ice fishing a try. I am really itching to do some fishing. I haven’t caught a fish since early November.

17. Any safe way to test the ice to see how thick it is, when it finally comes?

18. Best way is to start a few feet from the bank and drill a hole, if its thick enough to your liking....go out a few more feet and drill another hole.

19. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Recommended Ice Thinkness for a Noobie would be 4 inches or more. Depending on how you feel on the ice.

I was on Buckeye last year with 2 1/2 to 3 and it was gut check time. Then again Buckeye is only 6' deep in some places :p

Findlay on the other hand is rather deep, so be careful if you adventure out there.

20. ress

ress

Yep, Findlay gets deep fast! You can tell by how the sides are. I would say 10ft. from shore it will be over your head. It's ice covered now, but only about a half inch thick.