Winter fishing query

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mtullis, Jan 23, 2008.

1. My name is Matt Tullis, and I'm a features reporter at the Columbus Dispatch. I write a weekly outdoors feature for Weekender, and next week want to focus on winter fishing in Central Ohio. I was hoping you all in this board might give me some good tips on places to fish during the winter, what you fish for, etc. Feel free to e-mail me at mtullis@dispatch.com. Include your name and phone number if you don't mind being interviewed for such a story.

2. Matt, are you looking for ice fishing stories or any type of winter fishing?

3. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

John, how did I know you'd be the first to respond?! I read that and thought I'd tell you about but figured you'd see it soon enough. Listen to John, he'll put ya on some cold fish!

4. Thanks. I'm looking for any type of winter fishing. If there is ice fishing out there, great. But I don't want to limit it to ice fishing, if that makes any sense.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Matt, quarry fishing is the way to go for largemouth this time of year. Check out the winter largemouth pics taken from a central ohio quarry. Very slow fishing...you may only get one bite all day, but it is going to be a good one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hey John hook him up with a Indian Adventure i hear they are doing well over there.:)

7. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Generally speaking, winter fishing around here is pretty basic. If there is ice then the best fishing is usually for panfish through the ice. A guy can catch a nice mess of bluegill or crappie on most any resevoir with good safe ice. If there is no ice the next best alternative is to fish below dams and spillways for saugeye. Most people use a leadhead jig in 1/8, 1/16 oz or maybe 1/4 oz if current is real fast and tip it with a 3" twister tail. Popular colors are chartruese, pink, white and orange. Also, some will catch them on shallow running crankbaits.

I know some guys fish for largemouth bass and some fish for smallmoth bass in the rivers, but that is the exception rather than the norm. Just my .02 worth.

CG

8. I went in the evening yesterday....was my first time out this year...no saugeyes for me :(