close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter bassin!!!!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bgrapala, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bgrapala

bgrapala Micropterus dolomieu

Went out to a private pond today (found some soft water FINALLY!!) and had a blast on some LMB's!!! All came on a 3/4 oz red eye shad. Enjoy I know I did!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

cool beans Camon... you wont find too many places around right now that arent covered in ice... we watched a guy pull about a 4lb LM out of the marina yesterday... caught it on a jigging spoon

3. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

Nice...as much as I enjoy ice fishing I cant wait to get back out on the boat so I can really get after them!

4. crappie4me

crappie4me panfish junkie

nice catch...bet that made the winter a little more bearable:)

5. Man that makes me jealous! Nice catch.

6. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

NICE FISH!!!
    and yes i am jealous too.

7. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Those are nice fish especially for February.... I wonder how was the fight? Never caught a LMB in February I would imagine they would pull in like a wet sock.

8. bgrapala

You have no idea how much fun that made these cold miserable months of planning and purchasing seem. I didn't even want to put a catfish pole in the water because they were hitting so fast!! I was actually surprised at how much they fought as well, but it definitely wasn't like a springtime bass. All the fish were also the first fish caught on my pfleuger president reel/rod so that was another plus. The biggest one just went right over 3 and 1/2 lbs. Not too big, but still had a ton of fun.

9. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

Great Job Camon! Hmmmm that place looks familiar! lol :)

10. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Outstanding! That's what I like to see. I'm jealous you found open water.

11. bgrapala

Thanks Mike!! Once I found them I actually tried a few different finesse worms and jigs, but they just wanted that lipless. I don't know if you've picked up the new 3/4 oz but man its got killer action. Another thing...I tried the same crankbait in firetiger, and they weren't even taking that...just the sexy shad. I wasn't even really fishing that slow...just kind of doing a walk the dog. I'd pull it right over one spot and BAM they'd hit it. The pond was actually about half covered with ice. My guess is since I was casting right on the edge of it and bringing it back at about a 3 feet diagonal line they were coming out from under the ice to get it. There was all kind of wake on the surface from fish feeding on something.

12. Those red eye shads are GREAT! I can't keep the paint on mine so I order boxes of 6 from Strike King. Great bait thats for sure.

13. Nice job- I have never had much luck with LMB in the winter, but then again I normally dont fish for them in the winter. I guess I need to get out there and try though- but it might be hard to find some open water.