Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a new sign in front of the old Copelands Landing on Waterloo Rd. Says "Boat Rentals" and "Live Bait". Apparently one of the heirs is trying to make a go of the old place since the Copelands passed away. There was some interest earlier so I thought I'd pass this along.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
When did he pass? It seems like only a month or so since I saw him walkng around his front yard getting mail or whatever.
Time never stops moving.
later
don m

·
Registered
830 Posts
Copelands son is trying to make a go of it. But take my advice...DON'T fish this lake. Its over crowded with small crappie. The bass are small and far between. Carp are all thats in this lake. Insifficiant parking, ricketty old boats, and the live bait ain't live. Mogadore is the place to be for big redear and sunfish and bass. Catfish too. Throw a line in Moggy and hang on!! Did I say Mogadore has good fishing....and to think of it Springfield Lake is just around the corner.

....I repeat...Don't fish this lake! Wait until the DNR get ahold of it next year. They will make this lake produce lg bass and nice panfish, so wait until next year. ...go to Mogadore for good fishing, yulp Mogadore has the best fishing around. Mogadore Mogadore Mogadore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Copelands son is trying to make a go of it. But take my advice...DON'T fish this lake. Its over crowded with small crappie. The bass are small and far between. Carp are all thats in this lake. Insifficiant parking, ricketty old boats, and the live bait ain't live. Mogadore is the place to be for big redear and sunfish and bass. Catfish too. Throw a line in Moggy and hang on!! Did I say Mogadore has good fishing....and to think of it Springfield Lake is just around the corner.

....I repeat...Don't fish this lake! Wait until the DNR get ahold of it next year. They will make this lake produce lg bass and nice panfish, so wait until next year. ...go to Mogadore for good fishing, yulp Mogadore has the best fishing around. Mogadore Mogadore Mogadore.
Funny, i havent caught one decent fish out of mogadore all year. I usually catch slabs at wingfoot.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dmills, they both passed away last winter. About a month apart, I heard.
I never met the man but the woman was quite a gal!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used to catch nothing but 1.5 - 2.0 lbs all day all the time in mogadore.went out there with joe rugs the other day and got to watch him land this beauty.MOGADORE IS producing some big bass now.

This isnt the normal size difference. But we went out to wingfoot the very next day and I watched joe struggle using a jewlers loupe trying to get this one off the hook. The bass in wingfoot have big ideas they just arent big.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
ODNR is in possesion of wingfoot now. Wingfoot is a good fishery that just needs fished/managed. Not fishing a fishery or under fishing it ussually results in more but smaller fish of nearly all species except carp. There are still good fish in wingfoot, just getting more smaller fish to fish around now. Should be a real hum dinger after a year or two of management.
YAY ODNR!!!!

Huntinbull

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree with bull, if they would stock a few walleye fingerlings and pike, though a bit impish, that lake would become one of the preferred places for panfish in NE Ohio and would spank Mog. & Congress Lake in just a few years. Hope the ODNR does it right.........!

·
fishfinder1
277 Posts
Pike wouldn't thrive in wingfoot, the water gets too warm in the summer for pike to survive. Believe or not, Musky would have a better chance in wingfoot than Pike, because they have a higher tolerance for warmer water. Pike prefer colder water temps. I would stock another predator like channel cats, and bass. Make it a put and take lake for trout in early spring also.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know Goodyear and the Goodyear H&F Club stocked pike(and eyes) in there many years(guessing 25 or more) ago. Some anglers targeting them caught a few of them. I fished the lake a lot as an employee and though I never fished for them/never caught one, Idon't ever recall seeing any floating. But, around that time, the gills and crappie were unusually nice sizes since the pike(and eyes) kept the numbers of the smaller ones down.
The lake is shallow, only 15 ft. deep max. in a few places, and probably averages 5-6 ft. so I guess if pike are sensitive to warmer temps, that must be the case. The walleye(on the other hand) seemed to thrive in there. My best there was 5#'s and I lost a few larger ones at the boat. I have a pond max. depth of 5.5ft. and there are walleyes living in it so I know they can stand the warmer temps.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
Thanks CJ Stone for that info. Thats not uncommon for a spouse to pass and the other one die from a broken heart within a year of the others passing. They must have been very very close.
I was mentoring a young man some years ago who was a complete outdoor sportsman. He loved to fish out there. He told me it was the first lake he had ever fished where he was able to catch a fish a minute while he was out on it in a boat. Since they have drained it and a lot of runoff silt has been deposited from the so called goodyear hunt and fish lead cleanup. time will tell.
later ya'll
don m

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Hey Joe Rugz,
I saw your work van yesterday on Medina Line Rd. in Bath. I saw your name on the side and said I know him! Those pics of your rugs were something else!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks Lewzer. Most of my work is done in the Bath area. You'll see my van tonight at Copelands trying to find some of those "little" bass. SSSSHHHH!

Mogadore has great bass fishing this year!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts