Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The raspberry crop was unbelievable this year and i have about 5 pounds frozen and was going to make some wine out of it. Then the blackberries came on. I have picked about 7 pounds of blackberries so far. Unbelievable crop this year. Anyways, i bought one of those wine kits at a local orchard. I have never made wine before but i started my first batch today using fresh blackberries. Anybody else on here make wine? If so, would you be willing to share a recipe with a newbie? I know some like to keep there secret recipes and i understand that. But any tips you guys can give would be much appreciated. If this goes well the next transition will be beer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Can't help ya on making it,my DAD always made it when he was around!I always remember one yr when he did something wrong,the back room he made it in was purple.The corks blew out and it was dripping off the ceiling;)

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Talk with "brewkettle" on the site. He owns "The Brewkettle" in Strongsville. You can brew your own beer and they just recently opened a winery where you can make your own wine. He may be able to answer any questions you may have on it.

He's a heck of a walleye fisherman too!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Let us know if you need someone to sample your wines ;).

Good luck...I've never made wine. My dad did back in the 70's...grape, plum, elderberry, and dandelion. We came across a box of 12 wine bottles buried in his garage that was probably at least 15 years old (still don't understand how they got out there). Obviously, they were no good, but they sure did work great as a weed killer!

My raspberries have done fairly well this year...not like last year. I still have a bunch of them in the freezer from last year and I've already made two batches of jam from those. I take the berries, put them on foil on a cookie sheet, freeze them for a couple of hours, and then vacuum seal them...this way their not as mushy. I don't think I thinned out the canes enough this spring. I've got the everbearer variety...my first bloom is about done and the second bloom should start ripening in about 3-4 weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts