Windows XP Service Pack 3. What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Net, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever successfully upgraded from SP2 to SP3 without any issues? I did this about a month ago and it completely trashed my wireless broadband modem. I uninstalled SP3 but it appears the damage was done. Verizon (awesome customer support, by the way) sent me 3 separate replacement devices w/software...but no luck. Any thoughts?

2. I have loaded it on a half-dozen computers, both desktop and laptop (almost) without issues. The one problem was due to a lack of memory in the PC - 128mb of ram doesn't run XP too well.

3. I have about 25 machines at work that all went upgraded without any problems. As far as your wireless modem I don't have any experience with them. Verizon should be able to resolve the issue...if they wish to keep you as a customer.;)

4. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i have verizon too and i have tried to do the sp3 update on xp and i havent even gotten it to download succesfully yet. everytime i try it wont work for me

5. I have verizon and never had a problem. I have had service pack 3 since it came out.

6. Highly doubt it is your modem then.

In fact, I would highly doubt it was your modem in the first place. If it's like any other broadband modem, all it does is send packets to your NIC. There's no software/driver interaction from the computer side.

Your problem is elsewhere.

Are you getting an IP address?

7. I did the upgrade on my home PC and it crashed it. Restarted in "safe mode" and restored the PC to a prior date. Tryed the upgrade again and it crashed it again. Safe mode then restored again and i won't bother with it no more. I did cancell the auto upgrade mode! Good Luck!

Don't Be Afraid of The Dark!

8. how do get rid of this SP3 crap? i keeping getting a region code error when i try to uninstall it.

9. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

I did the upgrade on my home PC and it crashed it. Restarted in "safe mode" and restored the PC to a prior date. Tryed the upgrade again and it crashed it again. Safe mode then restored again and i won't bother with it no more. I did cancell the auto upgrade mode! Good Luck!

Try this page It will have what you need. Also make sure your virus checkers are off and any spyware or anti spyware is also off. Shut down any third party firewalls that may be running.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

10. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

how do get rid of this SP3 crap? i keeping getting a region code error when i try to uninstall it.

Did you follow ALL the uninstall process? It is really tough to just uninstall it.
    This page say it best I believe. The region error is your dvd probably, you arnt using imported dvds are you? Or is it just an error while uninstalling?

11. just an error while uninstalling it. i dont have a dvd.

12. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

What os software was you returning too. How did you uninstall? Sounds like something left in the registry. Go to this site and try to uninstall according to their info may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249