close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows XP service pack 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Oct 8, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Just got a notice, should I install it or not?

2. My partner says do it.daryl

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've been running it on my son's machine for a month or so. No problems thus far.

4. Salamander

Salamander Thomas T.

Same here, I installed it about 2 months ago and no problems so far.

5. I also installed it about 2 mo. ago. It actually cleared up some problems I was having. Go for it.

6. I have it installed and it works well. There are some things that have changed and it has tighter integration with 3rd party virus software programs like McAfee or Norton and a better built-in firewall.

7. It acutally has some security software in it. I downloaded it 2 months ago no problems! DO IT

8. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Well am I the only one that had problems with it??? I installed it on the adminstrator puter on my network and no longer could connect to it NOR was allowed to share internet connection with it. I even turned off the firewall and still wouldn't work. Anyone know why??? I took it off and everything went back to normal.

9. Did you install it on all the machines? I know they had problems with it in the office when they installed it on the server, and not everyone had put it on each individual machine. Sounds silly but when everyone had installed it things went back to normal.

10. Dingo

Dingo

Success depends on how many 3rd party security products (firewalls/virus) and internet or network dependent (network gaming/FTP) applications you have on your PC. This service pack installs a microsoft built-in firewall for security that has maximized settings out of the box (or download, in this case). You have to manually reduce security in places where needed to allow prior applications to run as before the service pack install.

From Microsoft Support:

After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), some programs may seem not to work. By default, Windows Firewall is enabled and blocks unsolicited connections to your computer. This article discusses how to make an exception and enable a program to run by adding it to the list of exceptions. This procedure permits the program to work as it did before the service pack was installed. Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242 for the detailed procedure.

11. mrfishohio

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks. I had a friend install it & went haywire. Took it to a shop & they found about 14 viruses in it. Apparently he had them already & then it messed it up ? Anyway, he was using Norton, they removed it & installed AVG or something that was free.

12. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Thanks guys I'll give it another try. I only had it on one puter on the network so when I want to get flustered I'll try it again.

13. mrfishohio

So far, so good, it's been on about 24 hrs so far..........