close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will you help fight the good fight?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by atrkyhntr, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Some of you may remember some talk about doing this ...well its done...
    Join in and lets work together for trophy catfish
    Ok guys we're good to go now...
    Catfish Anglers Society is up and running stop on by and lets pull all our resources together for the good of all... I need comments and sugestions no matter how small...
    http://www.catfishanglerssociety.com/
    or for ease of remembering
    http://www.catfishas.com/
    Hope to see you there!!!

2. catking

catking Banned

Thanks Clyde !!!! You da Man ! ................ THE CATKING !!! :cool:

3. Way to go Clyde. I sure hope this takes off.

4. My Friend Felicia Is Obsessed With Catfish. Everyday She Either Wants To Go Catch A Catfish Or She'll Add Catfish Lover At The End Of Every Sentence . . . .i Want Her To Join The Catfish Anglers Society ....shed Love It :)

5. WELCOME ABOARD findmyshoe15
    You and your friend are both invited to join... :D
    Its free and it doesn't hurt at all ;)

6. Slip33

Slip33 Afishyanado

Sounds like a great excuse to do more fishing :)

7. Looking forward to it Slip33 :D

8. Hello Everyone...
    I now have a contact within the DNR and will be supplementing a plan ASAP to forward to this person. What I need is more suggestions on what to do about the current regulations and some proof that commercial fishing and the sale of trophy size flathead catfish to Ohio owned paylakes is having an overall impact on the size and numbers. Proof can be in the form of catch logs kept by anglers showing a decline in fish size and numbers.
    Forward anything you think may be helpful including any and all comments ASAP to me either by posting here, sending a PM or an email.
    THANKS,
    Clyde

9. Anyone have any updated ideas?
    I have had conversations with DNR personel but nothing fruitful to date

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Personally, I don't think it's going to make any difference ( getting regs in place) until it's too late anyway. When a major magazine(In-Fisherman) or Cabela's & BPS combine forces, they could make it happen. If it were mentioned in some TV shows, then they might get flooded with calls, etc. Especially an expose on paylakes...but they endorse hand-grabbing(videos)....so I think it's a dead issue.
    In time the state of KY may see the light & put regs in the OH River now that they are noticing a decline of big cats in their recent study.
    Since trophy catfish paylakes are a big deal predominantly in Ohio, maybe send some links to In-Fisherman & BPS & Cabela's whose income depends upon promoting sound wildlife management.
    They would sell more boats to riverguys than they will to paylake clients.
    The states are beginning to see the economic impact, TN put in regs, studies are going on in the Mississippi. When they realise there's more $$ in out of state licences,jobs in camps & motels, state parks, ramp fees etc, etc than a few commercial licences. That's when we'll see a change. Hopefully they can simply regulate the Ohio River. Virgina might need to be included in the loop too. ;)

11. mrfishohio

Also it may not hurt to link some good sites from the Red River to KY and ask them why not turn the OHio River into something like that??
    Ohio has begun to regulate a small amout of catfish in the smaller lakes, so that's a beginning. I don't think it's going to happen real quick, it certainly could, but I'm thinking years.

12. mrfishohio

13. My thought process Jim is as follows
    days are better then weeks
    weeks better then months
    months are better then the years you've spoken of
    and the catfishing as we had known it isworth the wait for its return..
    Eyes have been open we need to fan the flames...

14. mrfishohio

Fan all you want. They need studies, facts. Proof that it's in their best interest. Their best interest is financially motivated. If they could see the Ohio Rvier like Cave Run and Lake Cumberland, and their other lakes, with state parks and ramp fees, etc. Then they might make a change. With a bunch of Buckeyes trying to tell them how to run their railroad....well what do you think? Now if we help show them how the Ohio Navy invades their fine state every weekend depositing millions of dollars into their coffers, they may be inclined to go along. In fact, when it happens, it will be their idea.
    Do some research on studies, contact fish farms, studies from TN and everywhere else that has regs on cats.
    Also from magazines and TV programs, showing how popular trophy catfishing it. (again...Red River)
    We have a major resourse in the Ohio River. Exploiting it for sportman is more viable than just for commercial fishing. Leave commercial fishing intact too, just regulate a no catfish over 34" for commercial anglers. Just one small change... ;) Write TN, ask them how it's working out for them. How many non-res licences do they sell at the Cumberland River now ?? Have they realizes any increase in revenues with the recent changes?

15. I have had very positive feedback from several contacts in Ky. The funny part is they do not sign the end of their emails thus I ma not sure if contacts is the right word... maybe because this topic is not popular in the bluegrass state I have yet to place a name with anyone I talk to... Studies along with peer pressure will help them along in their path to better use of natural resources...

16. mrfishohio

yes, I was normally getting good responces from all officials. I think there's a meeting or something they have, where one can add input. It's a KY DNR public meeting??

17. I am not sure if there is a Ky DNR but I have talked to via email and phone for a few the following:
    Wayne Davis
    Marla Barbour
    Jeff Ross
    Bonny D. Laflin
    James Axon
    Gerard L. Buynak
    Bill Sampson
    Doug Henley
    Benjamin Kinman
    David Bell
    Lonnie Nelson
    David Dreves
    Don Bunnell
    Ted Crowell
    James Axon

Many responses are generic but some move me further up the line LOL

18. mrfishohio

That's good... One of them gave us this( I purposely didn't add his name as we need allies)...
    As long as the market is there, it will be exploited. You control the Ohio
    pay lakes, the demand for large cats diminishes, the commercial fishermen
    stop targeting them and we don't have the "problems" caused by fishermen
    demanding and expecting pay lakes to stock large cats and thereby forcing
    paylake operators to meet their demands. It is a merry-go-round.

19. Yes I have been told to keep the names under hat so that is the way to go...
    It has been a ride I'll tell you that much. Paylakes are getting away really with very little in the way of regs while be funded on the bqacks of sportsman from other states...