close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

will the begals have a succesufl year next year?

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by fishcatcher87, Jan 19, 2005.

1. to me i think so i think that they will finaly make a good team and like others has said it they will have double digt wins next year.to all who reads this title what is your oppions on coach M. Lewis and what the team needs?

2. WHO Cares!!!!! No seriously they are just a few draft picks away from a great team.

3. Although I am a Browns fan I would still like to see the Bengals continue to improve as well. Hopefully they do stay on the upward trend. And hopefully the Browns can follow behind them but I think right now the Browns are at least a year behind them in progressing back up the ladder.

No offense to the Bengals fans here but given the way the Bengals history is on draft picks I would be a bit nervous to have to lay my stock on "a few draft picks". I know the Browns have not torn up the chart on drafting but in particular the high drafts have been major disappointments for quite some time in Cincy. Hopefully Lewis has a better feel for drafting true needs and recognizing talent at the collegiate level.

4. catking

catking Banned

The Bengals will be in the playoffs this year ;) .Since Marvin has taken over, our draft picks have been 100% better . We have learned to trade down in the draft , and get the better 2nd picks. They usually turn out better anyhow :) . I believe after 12 years of being the worst team in ANY sports, and being 8-8 back to back , they will be 10-6 this year. CATKING

5. The Bengals had a promising O last year. However, if they do not keep TJ and Rudi, they may take a few steps back. I look for them to win about 6 games next year. Not that they will regress, but they a very difficult schedule. It will be difficult for them to make it back to 8 wins. As a life long Steelers fan, I don’t understand the hype around Marvin Lewis. He has yet to take his team to the playoffs, or even a winning season. They were ready to fire Cowher after ONE losing season.

6. Comparing the situation in Pittsburgh to that of Cincy is totally apples to oranges. You are talking about a franchise in Cincy with more than a decade long of horrendous seasons, whereas Pittsburgh has only suffered through very brief down stages. So when you compare the fact that the Bengals had been drafting number one or close to it for several years to a team that nearly made the playoffs two straight seasons, then yes it is a big improvement. Now if he does not continue on an upward trend, Cincy will be just like every other football community and start screaming for his head.;)

7. catking

catking Banned

I remember guys saying the Bengals would be lucky to win 6 games this year. Look at who they played--- Jets, Steelers twice, Ravens twice, Denver, Dallas, Giants , Eagles, .......Going into last season them were all viewed as playoff teams. The Bengals will be ok. Hey, like they say, a couple plays a game is all the diffrence between 8-8 and 12-4. The Steelers could have been 8-8 VERY EASILY this year, if the ball hadn't fell their way . There is a very fine line between winning and losing in the NFL . The good teams find a way to over come. The Steelers know how. The Bengals are learning ;) .THE CATKING !!!

8. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I'm saying double digit wins for the Bengals in 05. Look at the schedule for 05:

Home Games: Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Minnesota, Buffalo

Away Games: Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City

I think its an EASIER schedule. The difference between the 04-05 schedule is:

Home-Miami, Denver, Dallas, NYG
    Away-Philly, NE, Was, NYJ

Home-Houston, Indy, G.B., Minn
    Away-Jac, Chic, Det, K.C.

In 04 it was 8-8. In 04 the team was riddiled with injuries(mostly on Defense), started a new (esentially a Rookie) QB. Still with all of that to contend with and that schedule, they had an 8-8 record. Bengals have ALWAYS had a winning record at home with Marvin Lewis, and the away teams next season are much easier.

The hype about Marvin Lewis is understood. He holds players AND coaches to different standards and holds them accountable. The results are definately noticable. There are 6 players left from the 02 2-14 team. :eek: :D ;) AND they haven't had a losing season in 3 years. ;)

BM-Before Marvin
    AM-After Marvin

Big difference. :)

9. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I agree that the bengals have a much more favorable scedule with the harder games at home and the easier ones on the road. Pittsburg was lucky this year and played all of their hard games at home and look at the difference it made.

10. LOL, only a Bengals fan could call a team that only lost one game all year “lucky”, and then be optimistic about a team that has not had a winning season in over 14 years.

Every year, the same line!

In Marvin’s first year, the fans were convinced that the Bengals were headed to the playoffs…….another in a LONG line of losing seasons (yes, 8-8 or any year that you do not make the playoffs is a losing season).

In his second year, the fans were convinced that the Bengals were going to win the Division…….another in a long line of losing seasons.

Who is Marvin holding accountable for his two losing seasons? Some of the fault surly must rest on the HC?

Now, after two losing seasons, the fans are convinced that the Bengals will win 10 games next year? Why? You can’t possibly be basing that on the past performance of the Marvin Lewis coached Bengals.

Hou W
    Indy L
    G.B. L
    Minn L
    Pitt L
    Cle W
    Bal L
    Buf L

Jac L
    Chic W
    Det W
    K.C. L
    Pitt L
    Cle W
    Bal L
    Ten W

I count six, where are the other 4?

11. Rooster,

Who are the Steelers going to be holding responsible after this weekend?;)

The point is that everyone sets levels of expectations and those levels typically rise each year until you hopefully reach the top. Look at Mike Hargrove as the Cleveland Indians manager. He was unbelievable through the late 90's winning the division all but one year over a six or seven year stretch. But it got to the point that that was not good enough and it was time for newfound optimism. Pittsburgh will look for it after this season just as Cincy will eventually if neither make it to the pinnacle.;)

12. Trust me, Bill Cowher will take a LOT of heat if he does not WIN the Super Bowl this year! Much more criticism than Marvin Lewis has received for having two consecutive losing seasons.

I totally agree that the Steelers and the Bengals have very different expectations. Even though they are in the same league, they have never really been in the same “league”.

However, irrespective of the team or sport, hyping a coach that has never had a winning season is simply absurd.

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Looks like the Frown man will be taking alot of heat then after this weekend.

Pats 27
    Squeelers 10

14. Rooster,

I see your point that hyping a coach of a team with a losing record does not make sense (even though 8-8 is not really a losing record;)). But at the same time, expecting a coach to take huge strides with a team in just two years is unfair. Going 8-8 in back to back seasons is quite an improvement considering they probably averaged 2-3 wins a season in the several years prior. So to me they would be absurd to consider putting the heat on Lewis. Now if he goes a couple more years and still has not made it over the hump then the heat would be justified.

15. Bassnpro1

Hey Rooster, by lucky, i meant it would have been a different story had you played in new england and so on. You guys still would have been a hell of a team, but to have the harder games at home and the easier ones on the road all helped to have the great season.

16. Bassnpro1

Hou W
    Indy L
    G.B. W Farve's washed up
    Minn W
    Pitt W
    Cle W
    Bal W
    Buf L

Jac L
    Chic W
    Det W
    K.C. W
    Pitt L
    Cle W
    Bal L
    Ten W

11-5 easy pickings next year.

17. Tee

Tee Team OGF

LOL. Yeah what was the Steelers record last year?? 6-10 and the Bengals were 8-8. Looks like the Bengals were BETTER than the Steelers. ;) :D

18. Good one! One out of 15+ years that is.

19. catking

catking Banned

The Bengals will not lose twice to the Ravens or Pittsburg . So there are 2 more wins. Jacksonville is another win. Thats' 3 more. Buffalo is # 4..... Thus 10-6............... No way does either Pittsburgh or Baltimore beat the Bengals twice............. CATKING ;)

20. catking

catking Banned

Are 15-1 because of ONE reason. Their running game. And Bettis is an old man who is having one of his greatest seasons. Last year he was " old, slow and too heavy" Cowers words??? to play. Yes, he was hurt somewhat, but the fact is, take away this old timer having a great year and the Steelers fall to 10-6 at best....... How many 15-1 teams have their been ?? 4 in the history of the NFL. The Steelers are a very good team, but we will see what they do in the coming couple years. When they string together some seasons like the old Steelers, Cowboys, 49'ers , Patriots etc., then we can judge them. Right now, they have to see if they can beat the Pats. If they lose to the Pats , at home , then they are back to where they were....Like Kansas City , Carolina and the Rams........Good for a season, then a flop..... CATKING :cool: