Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had a few hours today. Unfortunatly wasted most in to tight. Finally talked buddy to move out and bang. Caught 4 and lost 4 in last 45 minutes. 45' big dipsys 80 and 60 back. Got one long skinny minny, measered 30"s. Thats not me in photo. He refused to believe there was a fish on, He argued the whole time saying there was no fish on. The dipsy had tripped and he kept saying all he was doing was reeling in the untripped dipsy. I kept telling him it was a hog, all of a sudden there it was. It's funny how they catch all the fish and I never get any! Trolled reefrunners again today, nuthin, I am about ready to use them for firewood.:mad: I am not even going to waste my time with them anymore this year.

Attachments

·
761 Posts
We started in 45', then ran down to the stacks at Eastlake - pulled 6, then they seemed to shut down when the wind came up.

Ran back to about 4-1/2 miles northeast of Wildwood (47 fow) and pulled 6 more pretty quick - one 7.5 pounder and a 6 pounder. Silver backed boy-girl 80 back big dipsey set at 3-1/2 took most fish.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
That fish looks like it may have lived in West Branch til just a week ago. Isn't it weird how different they can be. I caught a bass in my pond that was "all head and gills"-very short thin body! I need to find somewhere to gather minnows to feed/fatten them up! Thanks for the info! I love fishing out of Wildwood.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Give them to me then, I was catching fish on cranks yesterday, A reef runner too!! Pink trailer trash, wasnt in the water 5 minutes and it hooked a eye ball.

Man that fish is a super model I wonder if it's an ancient male.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acording to the age chart a 27 and 1/2" fish was the longest one recorded and it is estimated at 22 years old. It's possible that this fish is a male but it would have to be like 30 years old. Last year 90% of fish caught were 03 class. This year seems to have a better assortment of ages. Have caught fish from 15" to 30" and everywhere in between. Probably a good sign. Just my observation. Anyone else notice this.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
It was just a thought we did catch a skinny 30 incher during Dave's bait tourney only went 9.05

I have noticed catching alot of year classes as well this year lots in the 4-5 and 7-8 pound ranger and lots of 9's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys, I have been fileting a bunch of walleye lately and I have noticed that around the stomach on the white fatty tissue that cligs to the ribs that there are bloody red splotches that look like a fungus, I have seen this on all the walleye lately and don't recall seeing this before. Has anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
those really olddd fish tend to shrink in the last few years of life, they also tend to come from waters with slower growth rates, thats why your age charts says that. as for those red marks, there is a meal advisory on erie, buts its most likely nothing dangerous, but if you have cleaned that many to notice that you probably have enough in your freezer to last you a good long time

·
Banned
544 Posts
that is a thin gator.........nice lookin fish too. it really doesn't look that old for its long length either...hmmm.....i've noticed those blood spots in the middle of the filets....i believe that is normal or maybe its a Cleveland thang'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts