Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just though i would post and let everyone know that i went out this evening on our boat for walleye with my uncle at about 4:00. we got out to 46 FOW at 4:15 and started trolling. we lost two fish a half hour into our trip due to the snubber on one of the dipseys. we took that off and caught a two man limit along with hooking into a steelhead by 8:00. we stayed between 46 and 49 FOW the whole time. small stinger spoons with copper backs seemed to be the way to go. good luck to all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike,thanks for the info.i hope to be out there soon.I got 6 out there the evening before on Fathers day between 7:30 and 9:30 in 42fow.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
we lost two fish a half hour into our trip due to the snubber on one of the dipseys. we took that off and caught a two man limit along with hooking into a steelhead by 8:00. !

Can you describe better how you think snubbers caused you to loose fish?

I run snubbers a lot for walleye...and always when seeking steelies. Not aware of loosing any fish because of snubbers. Maybe I am missing something.

What is your setup?

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,949 Posts
Can you describe better how you think snubbers caused you to loose fish?

I run snubbers a lot for walleye...and always when seeking steelies. Not aware of loosing any fish because of snubbers. Maybe I am missing something.
wow bob, are we thinking alike??? thats the first thing i thought about after i read his report. im looking forward to hearing the reply.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evileye- we were going back and forth east to west... then west to east back in front of the hospital etc...

Bob and EZ- to be honest, i have no idea why we were losing fish with the snubber... but after losing two on the same rod and bringing one in on another with the same setup, we took it off and didnt lose another fish the rest of the night. i dunno... whatever works i guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we got out there around 6 pm monday and got a two an ticket in about 3 hrs. we fished around 50 FOW the whole time, and were running two confusions stingers , a kavorkian, and a monkey puke and caught fish on them all. we also had on 3 steelies but were unable to land any of them.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Mike.....do you know for certain that the lost fish were walleye.....did you see them? Are they lost at the strike.....or are they lost while retrieving?

What kind of line are you running? What is your bait....were these all stingers spoons with treble hook??

We sometimes get some "short strikes" where we dont get a true hook up but also do not know for certain what kind of fish it was..Often sheep hit and miss. Am sure eyes do also. Thats fishin.

Just trying to learn something from your experience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am 100% certain that they were eyes. we lost both of them about 10 ft behind the boat just as we were getting ready to net them. we were running all stingers with treble hooks.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
sometimes stuff happens when you're fishin!

what line are you running?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had that problem before with snubbers and walleye.
I think when there not hitting the spoons hard, and just inhaling the spoon and swimming with the boat, the hook does'nt get set.
The snubber streches and you don't get the barb past the flesh.

In a mayfly bite, I don't think they hit that hard, more like snapping at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts