close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wildlife Dog Training areas

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by Boston30, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Do they allow live-fire on State Wildlife designated dog training areas?

2. Yes, but you can't train right now cause it is restricted for the summer.

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

ohiogsp, wait, what?

I asked the DNR district office about the "closed furbearing season" restriction. They told me that pertains to training coon dogs and the like.

I use Grand River. I don't think there is one at Auburn Marsh anymore. All the "dog training area" signs are gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. OK, maybe you are right. I think it was a DNR officer that told me that at "La Su Ann" but seems they were wrong.

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

ohiogsp,
    I was a little confounded by the wording in the regs, I couldn't believe that they would have dog training grounds that we couldn't use during the off-season so I called the District 3 office. Once they finally connected me to an authority on the subject I was told I could put birds out for my dog any time of the year on the DT areas and live fire as long as the birds were banded. I followed up with a call to the Trumbull county wildlife officer to verify, since the first couple of folks at District 3 were a little unsure. The last time I put birds out on the DT area was in March.
    Good training and hunting, Boston30 and ohiogsp! Pen raised birds should be ready any time now.