Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to hack someones wifi in there home? Or is secure. I am thinking of doing away with it all together. I have had some wierd things happining and think im being hacked. Just looking for opinions and any info one wants to share. What all can (they) do to my stuff through the wifi connection? Obviously i am not an expert?

MAC

·
151 Posts
Nothing is 100% secure, but some systems are more secure than others. What type of encryption is your wi-fi system using?

·
Go BUCKEYES
72 Posts
You can make it more secure by not broadcasting your SSID (your network wifi name) and making the encryption 128 bit. Like BlueDun said tho not everything is 100% secure

·
5,997 Posts
Like they said nothing is 100 % secure. But security encryption, not broad casting your SSID, Running a firewall on router and pc's is about the best you can do. There are programs you can download to let you know when and who is on your WiFi net Plus don't share info,drives or files between pc's and even if they get on they can't do a lot. But all depends on yours and theirs skills. Another warning! Do not log on to other WiFi networks that have no security. They set them up now so people will log on. When you do a program runs on their end to steal info and passwords.

·
Mr. Pike
140 Posts
Depends do you have a password on your wi-fi? Its pretty easy even with a password.

I can download a wep wifi password cracker that can get your password easily.

log onto your Wi-fi and from there get into your router settings get IP addresses ect get into your computer and have free range of your own computer, and even set up key logger virus to get credit card numbers passwords social security. Just google search how to hack wifi or anything around there to give you an idea of how easy it is to do.

Make sure you have a password of your WiFi and your router in PW protected and you should be fairly secure.

·
Here We Go Steelers
1,142 Posts
DO NOT USE WEP for security...Way too easy to crack..

Here's some helpful tips..

1. Use a "lengthy" passphrase, not a single password...Use characters and numbers along with whatever letters you desire...I like to use "gibberish" that makes no sense whatsoever..

2. Never rely on the MAC Address filtering...MAC Addresses can be spoofed (faked) to gain access to your network.

3. Regardless of your wireless security, ALWAYS use an Anti Virus program and a GOOD firewall on EVERY computer on the network...

** I'm not talking about the Firewall included with Windows either...There are a number of good cheap, and/or free Firewalls out there.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works very well for an Anti Virus program.

4. NEVER give your networks passcode or password to ANYONE...If someone needs to connect, YOU type the passcode for them..One slip of the tongue in ear shot of the wrong person and you are no longer secure.

** I would advise you to not write your passcode down either, unless you keep it in a private location.

There is loads of information to help you out on CNET.com...Go to the site and use the search feature...

You shouldn't have to be wired up all the time in your own home, you just have to take the proper steps to make absolutely sure that you are as secure as you can be..

As others have stated, nothing is 100%...But you can make your network secure enough that most wanna-be hackers won't mess with it. There should be a logger on your routers website that keeps track of connection attempts as well..This can be very useful, especially if someone in the neighborhood keeps trying to break in..YOU HAVE THEIR IP ADDRESS ;)

If you have any other questions or concerns about this subject, feel free to PM me anytime....I live for this stuff :D:D

5. In regards to your security passcode (password), get in the habit of changing it often

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
ill never use it. a few years ago i saw a show on pbs where some guys had 3 laptops in a car searching for wireless connections and went to an upperclass neighborhood. the drove slowly down the road and within 5 minutes were pulled to the curb and had 3 different people on those computers. it showed everything these people were doing online. call me paranoid, but it seems way too easy to tap into someones internet when you fly wireless. i dont even bank on my iphone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts