close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why make the Saudi people richer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by williambauman, Apr 28, 2005.

1. WHERE TO BUY YOUR GAS, - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON--
    Why didn't George W. think of this?

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.

It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

We should return the favor.

An interesting thought it to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
    coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import
    their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
    tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
    and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
    the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
    oil :
    Shell............................. 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
    Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
    Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
    Citgo.......................0 barrels
    Sunoco...................0 barrels
    Conoco...................0 barrels
    Sinclair....................0 barrels
    BP/Phillips..............0 barrels
    Hess........................0 barrels

ARC0..................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each
    is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
    importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.

It's really simple to do.
    Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how
    simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those
    300 send it to at least ten mo re (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the
    time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have
    reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,
    then 30 million people will have been contacted!

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

At $30 a barrel...I'll buy all the oil I can get my hands on. :D

3. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

4. These stats have been floating around the internet for quite some time and keep popping back up every now and then. If you look it up on the Snopes website you will find several similar items. I believe there are even explanations as to inaccuracies in the figures.

Bottom line is that this is a hoax spam e-mail. And that it won't work.;)

5. Miso_Ohio,

You beat me to it.:D

6. sorry about that. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have informed the person that sent it to me that it was bogus. Again thanks for setting me straight.

7. You are not the first person to fall for that and I am sure you won't be the last.;)

8. Tee

Tee Team OGF

9. How about boycotting all Exxon-Mobil supplied stations. If they're by far the biggest, wouldn't they have to lower their prices, bringing down the price of gas and lowering Arab profits? Does the economics on that work?
    They made more money than any other company ever in the last quarter, so this wouldn't hurt them but it should help the economy if it worked.

10. zipperneck52

zipperneck52 fished with Noah

Want to lower the price of a gallon? hOW ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE FEDERAL GAS AND OIL TAX. Most of the $ collected is earmarked for Federal Highway funds which the feds use as leverage on the states :"do what we say or no highway funds."
    Hey, have you EVER seen a federal worker fix a pothole, pave a road, paint stripes?????
    Lets get real... the feds are not in the highway business, the states do all that. Tell your congressman to dump the tax and give "WE, the people, a break.
    My 2 cents....

11. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

We could stop spending our money on other things, like $3.50 cigarettes and $2.50 beers at the local bar. We could stop spending $15 on bass baits like Lucky Crafts, $1.80 for a dozen nightcrawlers that we could dig up in our own backyard or $1.39 for a 20 oz bottle of water. :confused:

Fuel is getting scarcer than ever. What happens when you start running out of stuff and the demand continues to grow? Does anybody remember how much R12 (Freon) was when it was finally banned? I personally saw it selling for $50 a can. Oil is a finite source, plus it needs a great deal of labor to get it to our vehicles. We have had very low relative fuel prices in our country for a very long time. I was paying almost $4 a gallon in Canada 10 years ago. Now I'm paying $2.30 a gallon now? Big deal. I don't like it much but I'm not whining. Figure out a way to cut your usage or live with it. There's nothing you can do about the price- it isn't just the U.S. buying oil.

UFM82

12. Great post UFM82! I totally agree.

As far as all of the solutions proposed for paying less, it would be great if some of the thought and effort would go into solving the problem of how much fuel we consume. We as a nation need to wake up and start considering alternative fuels sources and other ways of minimizing consumption. Oil is truly a finite resource and sooner or later everyone is going to need to accept it. It will just be a lot easier to accept if we have eliminated our extreme dependence on it before it is gone.

13. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

As Sean already stated this scenario will do nothing to the price of gas.

The problem that as station X begins to suffer it will lower it's price causing people to cheat and but the cheaper oil. This will in turn increase the price of gas at station X.

Meanwhile, Station Y sees more demand as it absorbs the customers that are boycotting station X. This will in turn raise the raise the price at Station Y.

All you are doing here is shifting the demand which will do nothing to the average price of gas on the market.

It does not matter where the oil in the gas you use comes from. As long as you consume oil, from any country, you are supporting all oil producing countries. If you really want to stick it to the Saudis, or any other oil producer, you should buy a car that runs on an alternative fuel source.

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Why worry about the Saudi's ? How about China, did you know that Walmart is China's fifth largest trading partner? If Walmart was a country, it would be fifth. USA is #1 partner I think(?).
    Anyway, China will become if it isn't already, the world's strongest economic power. Their Communist policies & slave labor camps out compete us and we turn a blind eye as a nation to save a few dollars on material goods. Now we have no choice but to support them, that's all that's availible. They just stepped up their textile exports by 1500% since Jan 1st when the restriction lifted.
    Things are shifting & have thru out history. Used to be the European countries, and England, then the USA. We are losing our hold, we have military might, but are fast declining in economic power. We've sold out for oil and low prices. Jobs are gone.

15. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Talk the talk, walk the walk. I drive a 37 MPG Dodge Neon and primarily buy my gas from Sunoco. Just do it.

17. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

That's exactly what I was saying. But you will pay more for gas due to the shift in demand from one supplier to the other. The price MAY drop at the station that is suffering from less customers, but there will be a proportional increase in the gas at other stations. The impact from a "consumer cartel" will have little impact on the price of oil, since some members in a cartel are going to cheat and take the cheaper gas from Exxon Mobil. This will in turn cause the gas prices to reach equilibrium.

In short... Can consumers cause a oil company to go under? Yes, but there are consequences to creating a less competitive industry. You will, in the end, pay more for gasoline, because the same number of consumer are chasing less oil. The likelihood of this scenerio is than 1%, and that is being generous.

Oil is an almost perfectly inelastic commodity that only a couple costly alternatives exist to replace. Electric vehicles do exist, but are very rare. Hybrid vehicles are gaining popularity, but still use gasoline (granted it is at a much lower rate) and the operating costs are higher. There are studies that have been done on the costs of owning hybrids and due to the higher price of hybrids and the need to replace the batteries at some point, you will not save money on gas until after the 60,000 mile mark (depending on the car and manufacture and this does not include any added mantainence). More info on this can be found here and here.

Fuel cell powered cars may replace gasoline in the future, bad we will have to build more nuclear power plants to supply the hydrogen for these cars. This is way there are comercials on TV that are trying to sway public opinion on the saftey and environmental impact on nuclear power.

18. I can't blame the oil producing counties for raising their prices. There are selling a product that is of limited supply - a product that is not being produced any more. There is not any serious competition out there for their product. Even though they raise the price, everybody consumes more and more of their product each year. If we want to see prices go down, or at least not rise at such a high rate, then we have to lower our demand.

If you really want to see how the world might change in the future then do a Google search on peak oil. It is very sober reading.

Wal-Mart. Frontline aired an excellent piece about Wal-Mart this past week. I try not to shop at Wal-Mart. They should be called China-Mart. It's frightening to see that they have legions of workers willing to work for 50 cents or less an hour - and I doubt they receive many benefits. So an a level playing field, who is going to win the competition - the USA or China? We'll never be able to compete with China unless we lower our standard of living.

By allowing free trade with countries that have a lower standard of living than ours, we are essentially averaging down. We are raising there standard of living and we are lowering ours. Why would we want to such a thing? In 1994 Bill Clinton signed a free trade pact with China and said that it would open up China allowing American companies to seel their products to China. It may have opened up the market a little bit for American companies, but the outflow of Chines products dwarfs the inflow of American products into their country. The sad thing is that is doesn't matter if you vote Republican or Democrat, the top leadership of parties seem hellbent on free trade with third world countries.

Another strange thing is that Americans view low gas prices as if it were some sort of right. A lot of Americans views are based upon emotion rather than being grounded in reality.

19. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I live just outside of Lancaster and drive to the north side of Columbus to work. I've noticed a considerable difference in price from the southeast side to the north end. As much as $.34 per gallon. Very often the difference is at least $.14 per gallon but more often is $.20 + different. Not to mention how it goes up on Thursday and heads down on Monday. I don't believe this is the result of big international cartels manipulating the price, but, local companies trying to make the maximum profit. I'd love to hear the opinions on this situation.

20. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

This is simply the matter of supply and demand. I'm not to familiar with the suburbs of Columbus, but several factors may contribute to this disparity.

Perhaps one area is affluent than the other, and therefore can bear the burden of higher prices. This is geographic price discrimination (and no it is not illegal).

Another possibility is that there is simply higher demand in one of the areas. Perhaps one area consumes more due to commuting or other issues such as an over abundance of gas guzzling vehicles.

The issue of the price increase on the weekend is due to increased demand. This may be coupled with the uncertainty of the future oil market, since trading is only done on weekdays (this would only be marginal, however). The increased demand could have to do with weekend road trips (I do more driving on weekends), or increased gasoline consumption due to recreational vehicles (boats for instance). If you feel this type of increase is unfair then only buy gas early in the week.

I hope this is clear, but if not just remember supply and demand. Everything here has to due with up and down shifts of the demand curve. Nothing, or very little is happening to the supply side.