Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have ran into an amazingly high percentage of people who are spreading some concerning lies about these fish... all resulting in the killing of these fish
Common misconceptions:
1. They are invasive- they are not they have been here since the dinosaurs!
2. They wipe out local fish populations- again not true they have been here way longer than most any other species and have failed to put any of them out of existence.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From a study i read a couple years back showed the majority of their diet is actually crustaceans and invertebrates. With other fishes estimated to only make up about 15% or so of their diet.

Its complete ignorance to think wrong of these fish. I posted a photo of one i got last year on another site which caused me to spend the next days bunking the ignorance.

Veracious fighters. They never give in. And why they have been on the planet since the jurassic period.

When they are spawning, truly one of the most beautiful fish that swim.

Heres one i got last month. Pink Fish T-shirt Trout Carp

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! I too have heard so many lies about these fish it's crazy. There's a certain area of PA I fish that has a great population of bowfin and too often I see them dead on the bank. It's sad. NO sportsman would ever do that. They are native and cause no harm to other fish. Sorry for the rant but some people are just stupid or flat out don't care. It's really sad. Same goes for drum on Lake Erie.

Thankfully I only saw one dead one this year, but I heard from others that saw more. Here's a pic from a few months back. They are a great native gamefish and shouldn't be treated like this. Put it this way, they've been here much longer than any other gamefish(except for maybe gar)!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I've caught dozens of them in my life and every single one attacked a moving bait like a barracuda...

I have no problem with them, I would never kill one and I don't believe they are a nuisance but the idea that they feed mostly on crustaceans and invertebrates is bogus.. They are apex predators, not unlike musky...

Extremely aggressive in my experience and a top water explosion by one of these will get your blood flowing...

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
I always enjoy a good bowfin thread :)

I think its even simpler than that Montagc.. Some people don't know what they are talking about half the time while being a little too sure of themselves. I'd like to see some signs up in the common areas and start educating these guys out killing these fish. Its completely unnecessary. More awareness is the key.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That's one reason, but the majority of the people killing these fish aren't confusing them with snakeheads. IMO it's easy to tell the difference though, but these people already know they aren't snakeheads yet still kill them. At least where I fish for them.

edit: MassillonBuckeye posted while I was typing. I agree, and it's sad. Some of these people are too stupid to know what they're doing is wrong and it's useless trying to correct them. "You can't fix stupid"

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
People will catch them and if they aren't what they are after, just toss them and get them out of the way. The same way people do with Gars. They think they can control the population. I've caught plenty on 1/4 oz white spinnerbaits fishing for Bass. Forgot what one was one day and almost lipped it like a Bass:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People will catch them and if they aren't what they are after, just toss them and get them out of the way. The same way people do with Gars. They think they can control the population. I've caught plenty on 1/4 oz white spinnerbaits fishing for Bass. Forgot what one was one day and almost lipped it like a Bass:D
I unhooked one for somebody a month ago and told them to be careful of their teeth so the first thing they did was lip the fish. You should of heard this individual scream when the fish decided to clamp down... priceless.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
mainly because they look too much like the northern snakehead. they seem to like dead fish as well. I caught 2 this year on dead fish, one a 2 inch goldfish, and another on cut bluegill. the ones ive caught have been less then 2 pounds, but they gave a fight that rivals smallmouth. given size, they could be the ultimate fighting fish in a freshwater environment.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,081 Posts
they were actually stocked in Packard pond several years ago. easiest fish we ever caught (except for carp on white bread) in that pond. they'd hit anything. they were only about a foot long but fun to catch, too bad the park flooded and washed them out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think you can really refute it. A little over a hundred samples taken over only a handful of watersheds within a fairly close proximity. Tons of variables. A fish can only eat what food is available to it. Could the same hold true in different water sheds, Doubt it. But it shows they aren't just swimmin around chowin down on small fish all day.

The link to it is dead on bowfinanglers.com. Its in the science section. Lotta neat info.

In my experience, they seem super territorial. They hit like they have some sort of vendetta. 'Scarface has sent me to rip your spinnerbait apar'. My grandparents lived on jackson lake in jackson county, grew up fishin it, and well, its pretty full of them. Lost my very first rapala to a bowfin. Black and gold no 4. Og floater. Had just caught a small lm, unhooked it and laid my line just on the waters edge. SMASH! I'm flingin the dink back, diving on my rod, thinking i've got the biggest bass in the lake in my 11 or 12 year old mind, broke off at the bank, flipped, and gone, with the money i made diggin my papas potatoes, was that mean, toothy (insert expletive).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I often see Gar treated exactly the same way. It is sad because Both the Bowfin and Gar are magnificent fish. Chalk it up to ignorance !
Look on the bright side---- :D The ''Lowly'' Carp seems to be gaining respect. If that '' Ugly Bottom Feeder'' can move up the ladder perhaps the gar and bowfin can gain respect.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I just caught my first bowfin a couple month ago. I admit when I first got it in the though crossed my mind that it might be a snakehead and if it was killing would have been the only thing to do. But I remembered that there were bowfin in the particular body of water I was fishing in and looked it up to see what it was. Of course I released the fish which was very impressive to look at. The fight was surprisingly unimpressive especially since they have the reputation of being such impressive fighters. I saw this thing swimming near a boat ramp and tossed the rattle trap I was using and the fish hit it twice before being hooked but I basically just dragged him onto the bank with out much of a struggle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.