close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I carry a gun while fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flathunter, Apr 22, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

You never know what may happen, but something happened tonight that just makes me feel even more strongly about it.

A Police officer was shot and killed one mile from my house tonight at 9 pm...Columbus Police, Chillicothe police, and the higway patrol are now looking for the armed suspect in the area of yoctange park in Chillicothe..This is where I fish the scioto alot, in fact Bryan Mellon and myself were fishing there last weekend..Now if this idiot would kill a police officer, I doubt he would hold back on a couple unarmed fishermen if he happend upon them..Always be prepared for the unexpected.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

things just get worse all thetime,jack.i used to carry when i did a lot of night stream fishing,alone.was pretty deserted where i fished,but lots of times,the late night rowdys were on the prowl.since i rarely fish alone now(especially at night)i don't worry too much.but if i can ever convince the boss,i'll have another equalizer to carry one of these days,just because things are getting the way they are,and i'm no longer faster than a speeding bullet ;)

3. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

This is another reason to carry......... You just never know.
    This is about 1/2 a mile from where I fish for steelhead.

Coyotes Cause Park Closing
    (4/20/05) — An area of parkland east of Cleveland has been closed because of threatening coyotes. The North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks was closed to the public after two coyotes attacked a bicyclist and a pet dog during the weekend.

Park officials think the coyotes may be protecting a litter of pups. One of the two coyotes was shot and killed by rangers and will be tested for rabies.

Fox 8 News

4. Okay now that is stretching it to think that we need to be carrying because of coyotes? First of all coyotes are as non-confrontational of an animal as you will find. At least when not in extreme cases. They did cite rabies as a possibility. If so then we should be packing because of the risk of coming across rabid dogs, coon, etc.?:rolleyes: I am guesing that the biker and his dog surprised the coyotes probably, as they said, protecting their brood. The article does not give much detail as to the "attack" from the coyotes. Often times these incidents get blown out of proportion so I will hold judgement on that one.

But as for the folks who do a lot of solo fishing or fish in any risky neighborhoods, I say I fully support you carrying. I do not do it myself but if I were in that sort of setting and saw a risk I would.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

yeap Jack I'm behind you 100%. Vaery rarely do I not have a gun w/ me, plus I have my CCW, so I feel pretty safe, now granted anything can happen, it dosent mean I'm invincible, but makes me feel like I have a better than average chance!

6. I totally agree with you 'flathunter' It's ashame that we are not permitted to concealed carry in the State Parks. I fish a lot of dark spots, and travel through the woods in pursuit of monster channel catfish and the ever so elusive shovelheads. For all the 'no sayers' I got two words for you.......MODEL 500! The biggest, baddest, handgun on the planet.......TightLines!

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293531&item=831462&sw_activeTab=1

Attached Files:

7. I guess I did not know about that. As I said I do not have a CCW license but if I did that would seem to be one of the main places that I would be interested in having the gun with me.:confused:

8. flathunter

You can carry a gun in view in the state parks, I do know that..I have been checked while having a 45 in a holster on my hip..Was told it was perfectly legal

9. I know that is a common misconception about carrying a gun in plain sight. In most places it is perfectly legal. The only problem is that you may induce panic at which point law officers have the right to make you get rid of it.

I know a lot of facilities have posted notices that it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon into their establishment. I just had not heard that the DNR made the same notice concerning their parks.

10. catking

catking Banned

Good reason souns alittle paranoid but here it is....... The last thing I want to ever think about while I'm alive on this earth is " Damn, if I had a gun, I wouldn be dying ".............Look at the state of tis world now. The police will be the very first to tell you it is not their job to keep you out of harms way. They can only react .I was also told by a Paint Creek officer that you can carry if it is visible.......By the way , there was a deputy shot yesterday down in this area also..........Scary place.......Hey, ask cwcarper...when cattin down in South Carolina , you would feel much safer to be able to defend yourself, but it doesn't have to be SC. It can be anywhere....I know some say just don't go places where you put yourself into harms place. But that's the point. It is where many of us grew up fishing. I feel like I'm the one who as the right to go there, not the law breakers that look for trouble........I'm buying myself a brand new semi auto..........:cool:

11. Was this told to you after the passing of the CCW law?

12. flathunter

you dont have to have a ccw license to carry a gun in view..Only have to have it if concieled....

13. Yeah I understand that part. I was just wondering if the DNR guy was saying that concealed guns were not legal in the parks even with a permit. I am just trying to understand whether or not it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in the parks.

14. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I to am thinking seriously about getting a ccw permit. I do fish alone alot and fish 3-4 oclock in the morning in the summer months. Iv'e been a little concerned several times at the ramps at O'Shannessy as there were some scary looking characters hanging out there. Had my vehicle broke into there before. It's not so bad on the weekends as there are more people around but during the week it's kinda deserted.

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Bkr, you didn't get all the info correct on the coyotes, there is actually a pack running near chagrin falls in which the one that was shot was from. i beleive it is 10-15 strong. The biker attack and dog attack were seperate incidents. the killed animal tested positive for rabies and infact, there is a spreading rabies epidemic in northeast ohio, atleast as far as i can tell.

17. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I think it is a smart idea to carry a gun while fishing remote areas. I was alone wading four mile a year ago, basically in the middle of nowhere, and had a pretty mean looking dog approach me as I was walking along the bank. Luckily it was friendly, but if it attacked me I would have been screwed. And as a side note, I had a friend in high shcool who was robbed at knife point below O'shay while he was minding his own. I bet a gun would have prevented that situation!

18. catking

catking Banned

Thanks Hafus for clearing that one up . The fact of the matter is the officer I talked to was wrong. It does not have to be showing , like he said it had to be. Hey, new laws in affect, some people need to be brought up on the current event issues. Wouldn't be the first time a park officer was wrong.... CATKING

19. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I have a ccw permit. I don't carry it with me all of the time though. This is in part to being a teacher and, in part, to the fact that I don't always feel I need it.
    I asked a friend of mine who is a police officer about his interpretation of the law in regards to my having my weapon in my car locked and unloaded at school. He felt that that would be ok because of the description about universities. I wish I could confirm this. I just don't carry it to avoid problems and to keep my job.
    But I must agree that I do like carrying when I travel or when I know I will be in certain situations. It provides comfort.
    Some people think that I NEED to carry it at school because that is the most dangerous place! LOL :D

Have a good weekend fishin!

20. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin