close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why fish?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rweis, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Yesterday was one of "THOSE" days. Lack of sleep, family problem, and work stress all came together in a perfect storm of sh*#. I took off work for the day and finally got the family crap worked out. It was 7:30am and I tossed on my wading shorts, grabbed my 3wt and took off for my spot on the Olentangy, a nice little stream here in central Ohio. I put on a little Carolina Blue popper and commenced to fish. Two ducks swam by, a flock of Canadians flew over, and a turtle surfaced right by me. It was a glorious morning. As I got to the rocky part of the shore, the first Smallie hit. It was only a dink, but it went airborne at least 3 times. In the next 2 hours I landed about 20 Smallies, the largest being just over 11" with 3 more being
    9+. It was by far my best day for Smallies on the 'Tangy and with the 3wt., every fish was a battle. By 11:00, I was home, showered, and ready for a nap. Today looks so much better.
    Why fish? Because it's almost cheaper than therapy.

2. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

sounds like a good day with the fly rod, i just got into fly fishing and i am even tying my own flies now, what are some flies you would recommend for the Olentangy?

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Hit the nail on the head for sure. I gave up fishing right after I got married 10 years ago - dumbest thing I ever did. Always felt like I was "missing" something in my life...couldn't put my finger on it. Bought a used bass boat 3 years ago and found what I was looking for. Even the wife is always urging me to go fishing because I'm a different, more relaxed person when I return.

Now, it's 3 years later...newer bigger boat...more tackle...rods & reels..gizmos etc., but if you're going to "pay" for therapy you might as well have something to show for it. :D

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it might not necessarily be cheaper,but at least more fun;)
    but if i'm gonna spend my money to sit around talking to some nut case who needs therapy as much as me,i'd rather be doing it with a nut case buddy,while sitting on the water fishing:D

5. Why fish????

I say why not :)

You get to relax, see some things other folks might not, be closer to your maker, and catch fish

So again why not?

6. I fish for the relaxation on the open water which is to me, much like flying and enjoying the open sky. I also look forward to the fellowship shared. Catching fish is just a bonus to the day. I never leave the water early just because the fishing is slow. You only have so many fishing days built into a lifetime and I try to use as many as I can.:)

7. A few weeks ago I was headed South down 23 towards a family owned pond, I usually call in advance to let them know I will be back there in case a nieghbor calls to let my aunt know that there is somebody back there when there usually isnt, but on this morning it was a spur of the moment thing on a Sunday, afraid to wake family up so early I waited until I was almost there to call, I chated with my aunt for a second, the minute I hung up the cell and looked at my speed I was doing nearly 70 in a 55!!! glanced across 23 and a trooper is slamming on her brakes to get behind me, when I pulled over and explained my situation she didnt really seem to care(not surprised) she wrote me a ticket and I stressed over it for the rest of the ride down, how could I be so stupid???? there goes $70 down the drain:mad: when my son and I started to fish and he reeled in a bass about 12" all the stress and anger was gone:) I resigned myself just to pay the ticket, dont let it happen again and move on that its not worth ruining the day over, fishing really can work wonders on the mind:)

8. Originally Posted by rweis
    ...Today looks so much better.
    Why fish? Because it's almost cheaper than therapy.

It is therapy!!
    z

9. You are all so right! Yesterday... horrible day at work, got in a slight agruement with my supervisor and left work in an uproar. I got told the boyfriend we were going fishing. By the time we were done I was in a much better mood. I find that it even helps the pms. :) He wasn't as happy when we left cause he broke the tip off his favorite poll and we aren't sure how to fix it.

10. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

Next time, try reading the post before you respond.

11. Titanium...

I did read the post. My comments were a reinforcement of Rweis's thoughts. Guess it went over your head.

12. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

13. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

Didn't go over my head, you just should have worded it the way you meant it, not just expect everybody to be a mind reading and know what you meant.

14. Titanium ..

Sounds like you need to go fishing

15. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

Don't know how it sounds (text doesn't make noise) like I need to go fishing, but I was fishing yesterday, thanks.

16. My apologies to the members of this forum. It was not my intent to have this thread hijacked.

Titanium... Sorry if my comment was beyond your eductional level. Please stop the tit fot tat.

I guess there is always one even in a group of fishermen.

17. SmallieNut
    I've only read this forum for a short while, but as I've found out in my 54 years there is always someone who feels like it is their job to control, dominate, and command others.:( I feel sorry for them. Lets go fishing!:)

18. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

stop trying to control me!!!

:p

haha just kidding.

I'm always down for some fishing.

19. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

This is why I fish, I can't understand what I'm reading, got to be the pills....

20. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

I first tell somebody they should read the post before they respond because from their response, it seemed as if they only read the title. Then they make a smart comment about it going over my head when really his post just wasn't worded right (no biggy there). So I tell him it didn't go over my head and it just wasn't worded so that you knew he was just backing the TC (topic creator). So he says it sounds like I need to go fishing. So I make a joke saying text doesn't make sound. Then he continues to try and insult me by talking trash about above my education lvl. Last I checked, I was under the impression that personnel insults aren't allow, but I guess I was highly mistaken. The bottomline is, some people REALLY need to loosen up and learn to take a joke. Sounds like somebody needs to go fishing alright, but it sure isn't me. I would insult that person back, but I am alot bigger and mature than that, so I will just let it go and make note in the future that that person just doesn't have a since of humor. This is my last post in this thread. It has gone downhill and is no longer worth my time.