close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do you fish?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BankBum, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Of course you fish to catch fish. That's a given. We all have jobs(most), so were not doing this to feed our family for the sake of survival. We have grocery stores for that. What I'm talking about is what gets your heart pounding, or what makes you feel so relaxed your floating on air. What are the intangibles the stuff you wish you could bottle up and take a sip of whenever you were down. Here's mine.

1) Sitting in the dead of night and watching one of my Tight-lined poles double over in the latern lite. A catfisherman's dream

2) Riding out of east harbor in a boat with a warm cup of coffee. As the sun comes up over the horizon burning off the morning fog.

3)Casting for walleyes off the breakwall, and shaking the hand of an angler and congratulating him. He just caught an 11.5 pound walleye. He felt like a king for a day!

4)Watching my daughter cast,set the hook,and land a nice bass. For the first time without dads help. What a sense of accomplishment she felt!

5)Besides family. Fishing was the only sense of enjoyment I could find when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 at age 31. No matter how sick I felt I still loved to fish. When I was down the most. Something as simple as fishing could lift me up.

Never Under-estimate the power of something you love to do! That's mine.What's yours?

2. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

1)I enjoy the challenge of the chase...figuring out what the fish want, where they want it, how they want it, etc...ya know like Big/Small, Fast/Slow, Deep/Shallow, Lure color, Line Type, etc....
    2)I love nature, and being out on the boat, day or night, puts me right smack dab in the middle of nature at it's finest.
    3)I love the friendly competition between Rob and I, or whoever else we are fishing with.
    4)I love falling asleep on the boat, under the bright night sky, with the dogs lying between our legs. Just like home :) And then the abrupt awakening when you hear the drag on your reel screaming "Wake up!!! You've got a big one on!!!" Talk about an adreneline boost!
    I really have so many more reasons as to "Why I Fish", but seriously, I could go on and on :)
    Honestly, to me, fishing is like playing the lottery... With every single cast, you can potentially land the biggest fish of your life! Who ever thinks that fishing is boring should come spend a day fishing with me. :D

By the way BankBum... I just want to say "Welcome to OGF". You will find that this website will offer you so much, and not just about Fishing either. This is a great group of people, and the OGF staff is always on top of things and do a phenomenal job.
    Take Care,
    Marcia (Reel Lady)

3. 1) Spending time outdoors. I spend most of time in class or at work, fishing keeps me outside when its warm. There is nothing better than fresh air.
    2) Hanging out with my friends. One thing all of my closest friends have in common is fishing. It keeps us out of trouble.
    3) The little rivalry's you get while being out on a boat is better than any other sport I have ever played. Even when you are not catching anything it motivates you to put the lure just in the right place.
    4) There is nothing better than catching fish. Nothing tops a great day on the lake it makes work go by so much better the next day when you can think about all the keepeers you caught the day before.
    5) Learning new techniques. The more experimenting I do while fishing the more excited I get about fishing.

4. It Holds Alot Of Great Memories And Moments :)

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I started fishing full time about 7 years ago. If I had'nt, I'd probably be in jail...just had to get away from that @$#*in' B^%$% or else I know I would have hit her.

So I guess you can say "Fishing has saved my life"

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I fish for one reason, and that is to catch fish..If I dont catch, I dont enjoy it..Have not enjoyed it much the last couple years.LOL

7. Fishing for me is a way for me to live a life I could not do with my father. He past of cancer when I was five and he hunted and fished every chance he got. My best friends father took me out my first time and continued to do so and now I do it as much as I can. I take my daugther with me and set back and watch her and wonder what could have been with my father and wonder if he would be proud of me for the way I am with my daugther and for teaching her the things he could not teach me. The one thing I am sure of is that every time I am out there he is right there with me and that in itself gives me all the joy in the world. Welcome to OGF!

I guess you could say I was lucky to have a man that was not my father to act as a father and I have to thank him for being there.

8. why do i fish?......i love the challenge and the deep fryed fillets!!!!!

9. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

A lot of the hobbies the I could have take a lot of time and energy to accomplish. Bowling and Golf are great sports, but the require much time and money to become great at. Fishing requires time and money, but in my opinion, not as much. It is more than refining a technique as your technique is never exactly the same. I know that can apply in these sports as well, but a fairway at Augusta is still 300 yards away as is a fairway at Mauna Kea. However a brush pile in one lake is not the same in another. The challenge of nature as well as the thrill of the catch.

I just found out that a close friend of mine has been diagnosed with a form of lung cancer. He recently moved to Mississippi with his new bride. The job he took is not turning out to be what he expected. He just recovered from surgery for tendonitis, and he and his wife have recently had two miscarriages. Her family is in New Hampshire. His family lives in Scotland. I'm gonna visit sometime this month and he had one request. "Sam, can you bring your boat with you? I've got no one to fish with."

I don't have exactly one reason. My wife and kids don't enjoy it that much. My father likes to fish, but not near as often or as much as myself. I guess there is only one explanation:

It's what I do. :cool:

10. When I am fishing I am totally focused on what to do to catch the next fish. I am so focused that all the other problems in the world no longer exist untill I come off the water. That's why I fish.

11. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I am a lucky guy. I love to fish and Reel Lady loves it as much as I do. I enjoy watching her think and figure out the fish and seeing that smile on her face when she does as much as I enjoy doing it myself. I need to take more pictures this year ;)

12. The challenge, the satisfaction, the fellowship. :)

13. When I get on the water I forget about the daily grind and just enjoy the great outdoors. I love fishing for the release it provides me.

14. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

And I guess in an odd way, it would seem that fishing may have saved hers as well!
    Thanks for your honesty Elamenohpee. Fishing is definitely a great release, and has such a remarkable way of making such big issues in your life seem so trivial. Bottom line is Fishing and Stress just don't, and can't be mixed. Its simply impossible.
    Marcia

15. catking

catking Banned

Two reasons- Friendships shared and to keep sane.............. :) .~**~

16. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Standing in a stream at sunrise with not another soul in site
    trying to outwit one of Gods better creations, the smallmouth bass,
    pausing to watch the sun break the horizon and then set the hook
    on a big ol' brown fish.
    We are blessed to live in a country that provides us the freedom to
    enjoy its natural beauty and I am all for freedoms like that. :D

17. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Reel Lady, I never thought of it like that, but you're probably right. I also bought a plow truck just so I could get away from her. For 3 years I plowed everyone's driveway that I knew...for free. It was a $30,000 investment that never made me a cent, but at the same time was the best investment I've ever made in my life.

18. Cause during the summer ya can't hunt deer. The same reason I hunt. Get to unwind from the day to day hassles and troubles. Just like being in a tree when the sun comes up in your face there sitting on the water in your boat and who ever is beside you, you can thank the almighty for the day given. A wonderful place to be.

19. I stress over the decisions I make at work. I stress over the decisions I make at home. I don't ever remember stressing over what color twister I should use with this jig. Fishing is a narcotic. It shuts out the rest of the world and places you firmly in the here & now.

20. So that I can take DA KING 's !!! $$money$$. Oh yeahhh!