Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I don’t exaggerate…I just remember BIG!
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Been a while since the last post.

I hit a central Ohio lake this morning solo as I have a few times the past few weeks. Trolled Flicker Shad #5 in Blue Growler at 75’ back ticking bottom at 2.8-3.1 SOG. Had my culled limit of 17”+ saugeye, 3 wipers over 20” with largest going nearly 23”. Had a host of other fish in my hour and twenty minute short trip. I had a brisket on the smoker for a family dinner and had a narrow window!

That wasn’t the reason for this post.

As I said, I was fortunate enough to catch my limit (plus) of saugeye that I was going to bring home for dinner this week for my wife and I, but I met this awesome 87 year old veteran that I was talking to in the parking lot after I was done. He was fishing by himself for three days there this week trying to get a meal for he and his 84 year old wife who loves Saugeye to eat. I gave him my limit of fish and he was elated! He couldn’t believe it when I told him I caught my limit in under 1.5 hrs of fishing. I invited him to go with me sometime😃.

Awesome older gentlemen! We talked for almost an hour in the parking lot. He donates deer and fish to a local organization, so when I heard this, I knew it was no coincidence. He was kind enough to invite me down to 2 private farms he manages for deer in Coshocton County to bow hunt.

Why am I posting this? This is not something I share to brag or say how great I am. I’m not. Many sportsmen do this, as I have done for many many years. I’m telling you folks this, because fishing is so much more to me than just catching a limit. It’s Sunday morning. I’m normally in church, but I couldn’t be there today. This was a spiritual experience. I struggled all day at Erie yesterday for 7 perch. I needed redemption. God blessed me this morning with quiet time I haven’t gotten much of lately. HE also blessed me with a few fish. I heard this mans story, and it was like my lips started moving without me knowing. There was a need (small and dumb albeit) and I felt led to offer my fish to an incredible person that I’ve never met before, but felt a kinship to.

This post is to challenge each of us to be kind and good stewards of what we have. Be helpful and be good sportsman to others always. I was the one that left blessed today. Not because of the fish, but because I made a new friend and met a fellow sportsman enjoying his passion (the same passion as mine) at 87. Fishing by himself out of his boat on a windy day, challenged me. I hope I’m still enjoying the great outdoors at that age with MY great Creator there by my side.

Glasses Sky Goggles Smile Sunglasses

Road surface Asphalt Wood Fish Concrete

·
Registered
44 Posts
An excellent post. Thank you for sharing it. In a time when it's so easy to focus on what's wrong with this world/nation and get lost in the negativity, this story is a beacon of light. I will take it as a challenge to be better at sharing my experiences when these kind of things happen to me.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Oddly enough...as we age and life goes by....the Fish are often times the least important part of fishing.
If they wind up in your boat, cooler, or place on the shore....it's a bonus.
Two thumbs up to the OP!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oddly enough...as we age and life goes by....the Fish are often times the least important part of fishing.
If they wind up in your boat, cooler, or place on the shore....it's a bonus.
Two thumbs up to the OP!!
My sentiments exactly. My two most enjoyable days fishing this year were when Lacdown took me fishing at O'Shay and when I took my elderly (83?) friend and his daughter to the senior/disabled platform at Alum. The actual fishing is always secondary when I go and any catch is purely bonus.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I’m not surprised by your generosity Josh,with all of you past posts of helping people out including myself, you have a BIG HEART! Even in our phone conversation I could tell that you are a generous and genuine man and we will one day fish together for my first saugeye…. lol lol.… I know you have been through some very difficult times but hopefully it’s all in the past….God Bless you and keep it going.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I need to catch fish for me to call it a good time, but it takes some good company to make it a great time! Even if you catch a nice fish it isn't the same without someone to share the memories with. Grew up fishing all the time with family and enjoy taking the kids and wife out now, even if I'm only steering the boat and unhooking fish.

Codger, was great hanging out with you that day and you're a good friend looking out for your buddy like you did.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey guys,

Been a while since the last post.

I hit a central Ohio lake this morning solo as I have a few times the past few weeks. Trolled Flicker Shad #5 in Blue Growler at 75’ back ticking bottom at 2.8-3.1 SOG. Had my culled limit of 17”+ saugeye, 3 wipers over 20” with largest going nearly 23”. Had a host of other fish in my hour and twenty minute short trip. I had a brisket on the smoker for a family dinner and had a narrow window!

That wasn’t the reason for this post.

As I said, I was fortunate enough to catch my limit (plus) of saugeye that I was going to bring home for dinner this week for my wife and I, but I met this awesome 87 year old veteran that I was talking to in the parking lot after I was done. He was fishing by himself for three days there this week trying to get a meal for he and his 84 year old wife who loves Saugeye to eat. I gave him my limit of fish and he was elated! He couldn’t believe it when I told him I caught my limit in under 1.5 hrs of fishing. I invited him to go with me sometime😃.

Awesome older gentlemen! We talked for almost an hour in the parking lot. He donates deer and fish to a local organization, so when I heard this, I knew it was no coincidence. He was kind enough to invite me down to 2 private farms he manages for deer in Coshocton County to bow hunt.

Why am I posting this? This is not something I share to brag or say how great I am. I’m not. Many sportsmen do this, as I have done for many many years. I’m telling you folks this, because fishing is so much more to me than just catching a limit. It’s Sunday morning. I’m normally in church, but I couldn’t be there today. This was a spiritual experience. I struggled all day at Erie yesterday for 7 perch. I needed redemption. God blessed me this morning with quiet time I haven’t gotten much of lately. HE also blessed me with a few fish. I heard this mans story, and it was like my lips started moving without me knowing. There was a need (small and dumb albeit) and I felt led to offer my fish to an incredible person that I’ve never met before, but felt a kinship to.

This post is to challenge each of us to be kind and good stewards of what we have. Be helpful and be good sportsman to others always. I was the one that left blessed today. Not because of the fish, but because I made a new friend and met a fellow sportsman enjoying his passion (the same passion as mine) at 87. Fishing by himself out of his boat on a windy day, challenged me. I hope I’m still enjoying the great outdoors at that age with MY great Creator there by my side.

View attachment 477144
View attachment 477143
That's awesome man you made a friend for sure 👍 nice fish also 😁

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Was great talking to you that morning. Was a perfect morning to be out awhile. The whole experience that morning made things fall into place that day. And also made the man's day fall into a joyous one. Only imagine when he got home to wife with those fish.

Great job and one of these days we need to be on same boat testing those fish out.

·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree! Let’s do it soon!

·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Many men go fishing all of their
lives without knowing that it
is not fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau
One of my favorites:

“Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it” - Harry Middleton

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had family that worked there! The old man still wears the hat!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts