close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

why cant i catch any skipps

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by cat daddy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. i have went to Meldahl dam 6 times now and i havent caught any skipps out of the last 5 , somebody please give me some advice

2. Its hard to catch them this time of year. In another month it should pick up. You should be able to catch a bunch of little ones then. You only have limited ability from the dam there, they really need to be in there good like in the spring to do much good.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

It seems you need two things- clean and green water and lots of sun. Light winds help also. I pulled up to AEP two weeks ago and they were busting all over the place- when the boat came in, they spooked and were gone.

I have been able to fill a cooler under the right conditions- nearly nothing any other time. It has been a year and a half since I have caught any numbers of skips. I hope they come back this year.

UFM82

4. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

That's why I call them " The Silver Ghosts of the River" they have been absent all year everywhere, last year we had to go to the Cumberland river to get some and it was tough down there, got some friends down there and they report no skips at all this year, who knows where they go?

Doc

5. How do you catch your Skips ?

6. I haven’t caught one out of the Ohio River in two years!

Where can they be found? Every time that I have been to KY Lake in the Spring, I have caught a ton of very large skippies while crappie fishing.

7. and i thought it was just me, those skipps will ruin a guys catfishing season, and it will spoil u at the same time. ,when i was at meldahl they were bustin the water but they just wasnt biteing, i was useing 1/8 oz jigs / whit 2inch grubs, some time do you need to go smaller.

8. We caught them pretty good in early may at Meldahl for a couple of days then the river went back up. I froze about 75 or 80 for the two of us to fish with this year. They bit on little whie grubs. Some friends of mine caught several below the Watts Bar dam a few weeks back. I think thats the Cumberland river but I'm not sure.

9. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

catching the catfish we all use them for. If you get into a school of skips, you can literally catch hundreds in a very short time. Most guys will use Sabiki rigs- multiple flies or jigs on a leader. They can be found at BPS and other tackle shops already made. I simply buy a card of 1/8 oz white marabou jigs and tie a few on a leader of 20# flourocarbon. Then I tie a 1/4 oz jig on the bottom end. The stiff leader helps keep the thing from tangling up on the cast and the flouro disappears underwater. Plus, I can buy a card of 10 little jigs for $2 and make my own. I can make 2 or 3 rigs out of one card.

I have caught over 200 skips the last two times I really got into them. My brother and I and then Dip and I slayed them two weekends in a row down by Tanners. Haven't seen them like that since, and that was almost two years ago. The water was low, very clear and the sun was very bright. We skipped the rigs across the top of the water and the skips just hammered them. Multiple hookups were common as the fish would just attack the rig. I had skips in the freezer for a long time after that, but alas, the supply has dwindled and is gone.

I've netted them before but since they are such a slender fish, anything under 5" or so will get stuck in the net and they are a pain to get out. Try picking 3 dozen skips out of a cast net. Takes a while.

Oh, I wish I had some. They are the ultimate cat bait on the Ohio.

UFM82

10. Do you all do very well on frozen skips? Lets say frozen skips versus fresh shad? What would the bait of choice between the 2 be. This is the first year for me using frozen skips and its does not seem to produce like fresh shad any comments!

11. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think it depends on the fish. I use cut frozen skips predominantly in the cold months when fresh bait is not availible. They eat it up then. In the warm months, it can change from day to day. Sometimes fresh skips are better than shad, sometimes live shad is all they'll hit. Just have to try both. That's one of the big advantages of using a KY license, multiple rods, you can have a variety of baits, cut, live, skips, shad.....not to mention, the different locations you can place it. near the bank, under the boat, out in th ecurrent, etc. Six or seven rods out can be good, or a pain at times too.
    This time of year, if I ever get out again, I'd use 2 with cut skips, 2 with live shad, and 2 with cut shad. ;)
    Of course, once you find out what they want, and what they won't hit, I'd remove those extra rods & maybe feed them what they are hitting on 3 rods. :rolleyes:

12. OK OK show me a pic of a skip :confused:

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Ask and you shall recieve :D Pic courtesy of mrfishohio

Attached Files:

14. well damn... Thats what me and the son were catching at Pymatuning this week for cut bait... Looked like fatter lake shiners to me...
    THANKS !!!

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Are you sure, I though skipjack were only found in rivers..I believe most of the fish in that tub were over 12inches long.

16. :confused: Hey maybe they were Lake Shiners then LOL...

17. i would pay happly for some skipps right now.

18. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Here is a skip I hooked through the nose to fish live for flatheads.

[​IMG]

Here are shad we cut up for blue cats.

[​IMG]

Remember when you get an opportunity to get good bait you better take it ;)

19. GREAT PICS!!!
    I love this suff :D