Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a loyal Toyota owner since 1998. Tacoma truck in particular. My 2009 lease was due to expire and my dealer called me about it. When I first leased it back in 2009 I was fully intent on buying it.

So when the dealership contacted me about two months ago I explained I was buying it. At that point the dealership seemed to lose all interest in me.

For about a month and a half I was told by the dealership that Toyota Financial
would have to tell me what all the different options were. When I talked to Toyota Financial they told me the dealership would take care of it. About a week ago I felt like I was dealing with a government instead of a business. Talk about the royal run around.

So I decided @#$%#@ on Toyota and went to where my wife bought her crosstour. The salesman remembered me and we shortly struck a deal on a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L. Will pick it up this thursday no muss no fuss.

So today while I am working out wife tell me Toyota Financial is on the phone and would like to talk to me. I tell her I am done talking with anyone that is connected to either the dealership or TF. Wife explains what happened to lady from TF.

Lady from TF wants me to call back when I am not busy. Wife explains my temperment is really mild but they ( the dealership and TF ) have stretched it all out. The little woman has only ever seen me trully mad once. That was when a bully was trying to make trouble in a parking lot. I did not waste time talking to him I just knocked him out. Wife explains to lady , he does not threaten at all , he just takes care of whatever the problem is.

Lady from TF gets the point and says she hated to lose a good customer.
She hoped that I would give Toyota another chance in the future. Wife explains thats probably not a good idea to hold breath waiting for that to happen.

While both outfits depend on their making a living selling and financing cars.
Nothing either one of them did in the last month and half would have convinced anybody of this. I do know people can survive without many businesses. But I 'm not aware of any company that will survive without customers.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
The quick answer to your problem is: BUY AMERICAN! We're in a historic depression! That's right depression! ,not resession! It's time we bare down and take care of AMERICANS first! --Tim................................................................................................................................................................. Brown Skin Organism Carnivore Facial expression

Attachments

·
Proud Member
316 Posts
He had to go all political on this.

I hope your new vehicle treats you well, thanks for contributing to the economy in these desperate times.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buy American........so you can replace engines and transmissions at 100k miles or less. Dodge has had a terrible track record with "affordable" cars and their build quality. Both my 95-99 Neons have had headgasket problems, transmission problems, and poor build quality overall. My 05 Neon SRT-4 has a better build quality, but you have to replace shift forks ($$$) after 50k or so miles. They don't have small problems, but big expensive ones.

This is versus all the Honda's running around with 200k+ miles on them, rusting to death, but still ticking away like a champ. I have multiple friends on original engines and transmission with Honda's that they beat the hell out of. One can't remember when the oil was last changed (I checked, dipstick showed hardly any), and another didn't know you had to change spark plugs and has owned the car SIX years.

BTW: Dodge owner and will continue to buy Dodge. I know their engines very well so fixing things isn't an issue for me. Basically I look at it as buying a cheaper made car, but ease of fixing stuff (and cheaper sometimes). Can't do the work yourself? Buy from a company with a proven track record. Actually in the process of buying a Dodge Ram and Jeep Liberty as well. :)

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
The quick answer to your problem is: BUY AMERICAN! We're in a historic depression! That's right depression! ,not resession! It's time we bare down and take care of AMERICANS first! --Tim................................................................................................................................................................. View attachment 50207
Tim,
while i'm all about buying American made products if i can....the simple truth is...MOST "foreign" cars like Nissan and Toyota ARE made in America BY Americans. Some say, yes, but the profits go overseas. Well, perhaps but aren't Toyota motors and other overseas corporations widely held by most pension/mutual funds...meaning American's own a big part of them?

What about General Motors and Ford trucks/cars being assembled in Mexico/Canada? Lastly, are THESE the workers you want building YOUR car?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/1...ortedly-caught-smoking-drinking-during-lunch/

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread was not intended for any political comments. Was just venting how stupid some people are that make life a struggle for no reason.

It is very myopic view to answer buy American to an unrelated subject. My Toyota was built in California which to my chagrin is still part of the USA. Profits on publically held companies go to the stockowners. So please don't reveal your limited view on complicated matters.

Do some research before shooting off mouth. Look up what percentage of the Jeep Patriot's parts come from USA. With a name like that one may assume that its probably close to all of them. Actual facts show quite a different story. Do not rely on what some politicians and Unions or media tell you.

The truth is out there if you aren't too lazy to look for it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Being an auto tech for the last 6 years And Honda owner. I have realized a few things....american cars are high maintenance pieces of crap. Most of them lose there value very quickly and they fall apart fast. The electrical systems on GM especially are a disgrace, Chrysler just flat out builds garbage, Ford is actually I believe the only american car manufacture that doesn't have its head up its butt. But Honda....wow! They build and engineer way better than the big three, Toyota is good but very boring cars, Mazda(ford) is decent, mitsubishi is like nissan...junk, German cars are over-engineered and should only be worked on by the dealer, and kia and hyundai aren't even worth talking about....you are going to love your Honda Pilot!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
Seems you were dealing with American workers at the dealership and the finance group, thus the problem. Low quality.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The quick answer to your problem is: BUY AMERICAN! We're in a historic depression! That's right depression! ,not resession! It's time we bare down and take care of AMERICANS first! --Tim................................................................................................................................................................. View attachment 50207
No such thing as BY AMERICAN when dealing with cars. They are all full of foreign parts. And several "Foreign" companies have plants on U.S.A. soil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I bought my Toyota tundra this year it said 80% built and 80% parts made in America. That supports a lot of American jobs. Can any of the "American" auto makers say that? FYI dodge is now owned by fiat- not American

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hope you enjoy that new Pilot. I bought a new LX 4wd last year and really liked how I was treated at the dealer with no hassle or bologna and have no regrets with my vehicle choice. Pulls my Lowe FM175 very well. How's that Starcraft that I sold you?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Starcraft is still going strong and boating fish. She don't look like the same boat you sold me as I can't leave anything alone. I'm sure you seen some of the " improvements " I posted on here on it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
No doubt about it after 46 years of buying cars and trucks the "foreign" ones are superior. Sorry but I can't afford to purchase a $25,000 piece of junk and purchase again every 5 years when I can pay $25,000 for one that'll go at least 10 years. Will never ever buy "american" again until they get it together and historical records indicate they get it. The point of this post though (I think) is once an American company has you as a customer they'll spend countless hours and mony trying to get the new customer while ignoring thier existiing customer. I've seen it time and time again over the years with many different types of companies, not just cars. The way you took care of it PapaPerch is the only way to do it, vote with your wallet!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Have to admit, my favorite vehicle of all time was a `74 VW Beetle modified into a "Baja'; 19" of ground clearance in front, 22' in the rear, full competition off road racing suspension, 42 gal fuel cell replacing the rear seat and bumper to bumper full roll cage. Once had to replace a clutch throw out arm clip 60+ miles in the desert (at night) with just the tools had with us; done in 3 hrs. TOUGH little monster, VERY easy to work on and as nimble as a mountain goat. Will admit would barely go 70 mph with a full load of fuel, but once it was down to 1/2 a tank it was just a wonderful vehicle. By the way, it was designed by the same guy who created the dreaded WW 2 "Tiger' tank...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You'll really like that Honda Pilot. We got a used one about 6 months ago with 70k miles on it already. It still runs like new! My Pontiac G6 has 70k miles on it now and does not accelerate like it used to. We've had 3 Hondas now and were happy with every one of them. Had 2 Pontiacs also and they were decent, but were not as satisfied as with the Hondas.

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
836 Posts
Papaperch, I had a very similar experience with a Nissan dealer around my house and they wouldn't stand behind any of their junk vehicles I bought from them so I sold them and went the same route as you last November with an '11 Pilot. You will love it. Very nice vehicle.

Also I had a friend that had the same problem with you trying to buy a leased vehicle from Toyota. You made the right decision just moving on.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Someone said buy american so you can replace the engine and tranny at 100k? Really? I say. my 96 dodge ram has 283,000 and im still on the original motor, no leaks, runs strong and is smooth. The tranny got to 222,000 before i had the tranny rebuilt. Hows that for american made?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The window sticker for my 2011 Chevy Silverado says 60% American parts and 40% from other countries. It was at least assembled in Ft Wayne.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
The point of this post though (I think) is once a company has you as a customer they'll spend countless hours and money trying to get the new customer while ignoring their existing customer.
That's exactly it! Just like the phone and cable companies. Always offering discounts to new customers and ignoring their loyal customer that has been with them for twenty plus years.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts