close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why are Trout stocked?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Gitanes, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Could someone please explain why trout are stocked at,for example, Silver Creek? Why do they waste the time and resources to stock a fish that won't survive rather than building a program with fish that reproduce like maybe bass and crappie and pike in the Cuyahoga River, Metro ponds, Nimmi or Mogadore, ect...? This question has always bugged me and I just now got the nerve to ask.
    Hoping her question is not too stupid,
    Gitanesblondie

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Not a stupid question and i hope you don't take this answer as a know-it-all sort of thing but here goes...first, the trout offer an oportunity for the less skilled to easily catch a fish. second, they are easily raised and serve the purpose for easily manageable fish, it's a put and take fishery. The reasons that other fish, w/ the exception of walleye and a select other few fish such as wipers is aren't stocked is because the lakes that have the fish already in them are self sustainable. the fish stocked at say, Mogadore may have a negative impact, creating a uneven food chain.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Plus the state bought the "Blue Hole" in Castalia near Sandusky a few years ago that has cool, crystal clear water from underground springs that are perfect year round for raising trout and steelhead.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

As the others have said its not a stupid question, anything is debatable. I think its a good thing, though. Good for the kids and people who dont fish much, to generate interest and allow beginning anglers to get a taste of fishing and then move on to other types of fishing.

This is just a thought but it probably is a money maker as far as lisence sales go. The average guy who gets a liscence and takes his kids fishing a few times (for trout only)probably does not catch more than $19 worth of trout over the spring stocking season.

Im not even sure about that one, what do you guys think? Obviously we (more active than casual fishermen) might take more than that amount.

5. I like 'em...great in the smoker :) :) ;)

My Opinion is that the trout are stocked to incubate interest in fishing in general as well as giving back to the long-time license holders with the steelhead stockings being the most successful as well as the walleye, muskie etc. etc.

If we were to rely soley on natural proliferation, most of us wouldn't bother wasting our time fishing or fish primarily out of state.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It generates a lot of cash, and gets people interested. Steelheader pretty well covered it.

7. Ok, thanks guys! That makes sense to me.

..... but a few more crappie and a couple bass here and there...........like with my name on them and stuff...you know..... :) ,
    Gitanesblondie

8. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

Personally, I like that they stock the trout. I'm not so sure I agree with where they do it though. I'm traditionally a stream fisherman and hate to fish lakes, however, I am a little biase because I don't own a boat. Now I like to fish for trout in streams like Mad River, Clear Creek, and Clear Fork. I would rather have them stock rainbows in these streams and trying to create a better yearround trout fishery than something that in March and April I won't catch anyway due to the banks on ponds like Silver Creek being clogged by so many looking for an easy catch. Sure, I was there last Saturday - Didn't catch jack. Probably more due to fishing pressure than anything (doesn't help when people are casting on top of you the whole day, or trying to muscle you out of your spot) I'm a bigger fan of solitude - thats just my opinion.

Personally, I would rather have the stockings spent on something more worthwhile - more sustainable fisheries yearround. Perhaps stock smallmouths in streams more, or even stock more crappie in reservoirs. I would prefer better smallmouth bass fishing year round than catching a few runt rainbows in April (in the 2 or 3 days this month it hasn't rained...). Fish like these can provide years of catches, where these lousy rainbows may last until May if they are lucky.

Thats my 2 cents......

Jake

9. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

Its like the state stocking ditch chickens (folks around here call them pheasants) for put and take. They are a non-native species that are meant to provide recreation for those less skilled (Like me) in hunting and fishing. I have always disagreed with the state spending money on a non-sustainable resource. But these revenues exceed the cost according to the division of wildlife, and the additional funds go to other projects.

10. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

"Why are Trout stocked?"

Because if they stocked carp, the EPA would bust them for water pollution..........:eek: :cool: ;)

11. catking

catking Banned

Gotta watch Worm Man every where he goes. Spreading vicious lies about the best game fish in the waters.....THE CARP :cool: CATKING

12. I don't know what the future holds for these beginning anglers, but the Turtle Pond trout stocking gave them a nice catch with minimal effort. Hopefully dad will be able to put them onto more fish on our "boat outings" and will no longer hear "I only want to fish if we go to the Turtle Pond; we catch fish when we go there!"
    The stocking does give good positive reinforcement to kids and with enough encouragement will help build the fishing community. Now if I could only get the state to dump about 700 four-pound-plus bass into Springfield..... :D

Attached Files:

13. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

cute pic.....kids sure do love them trout....i love to see those eyes light up....its almost magical to them....it was for me, too when i was young.

14. DrZ

DrZ

I like fishing for these trout a few times a year because I practice c&r for most species for the rest of the year. There is something really cool about the whole catch it, clean it, eat it process that I enjoy. Its nice to be able to keep a whole stringer of fish and not worry about how its going to effect the lake.

This week I caught a bunch of trout at Rush Run, one of them was a palamino. Does the ODNR stock these on purpose? I always thought they only stocked normal rainbows. If they do stock them on purpose, does anyone know what percentage of them they stock?

15. catking

catking Banned

Look at the smiles on the girls faces. That is worth the price of the trout program in itself. DR.Z said something that holds alot of truth. You can keep and eat them without feeling guilty ;) CATKING !!! :)