close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who says the fish don't bite when it's hot out?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bronzebackyac, Aug 2, 2007.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Since it was the hottest day since early July, we decided we would float yestersday. Well actually we all just happened to be able to go so we tried to get out early to beat the heat. We floated one of our favorite stretches of Paint Creek. I took about 3 or 4 dozen creek chubs and a seine. Within the first mile of creek and before 8:30 am, I had landed 5 smallies on a black buzz bait. I also missed one that was huge on the buzzbait and one a chub later in the day. We stopped at the first riffle and seined for hellgies. We ended up with about 5 dozen. As the sun rose and the temps did the same, we continued to catch fish. I was a little surprised since it was so hot. My buddie (Chillifisherman on here) caught his PB smallie and so did his brother. He landed a 17''er on my favorite shad rap, the walleye color. I caught about 15 smallies, 2 channel cats, 4 drum, and a 1 LM. A few were on cranks, but most were on Hellgies and Chubs. The water was low, and the float was long (8hrs), but the fish were still hungry. The lesson of the day; Don't count out topwater and live bait when the fishing gets tough. BTW one of the other guys that went with us got skunked(he says it was the first time ever). He basically fished the live bait on a bobber all day, well when he wasn't sippin on a cold one. All the fish I caught on live bait were fished with a small split shot and a #2 baitholder hook. They were deep to get away from the heat of the day.

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Nice report. Looks like I'll have to get off my lazy a** and get back out there. I've been a little dormant this summer as far as fishing goes. I'm heading to Gatlinburg for a week and will definitely get some fishing in down there. Looks like its going to be hot all over for a while so nice to know the fish are still biting in the creeks.

CW

3. That is a great report, I haven't drifted hellgrammites since my kids and I did it a few years ago below East Fork lake.
    Great day, glad to hear they were biting.
    Makes sense they were deep. Hellgrammites seined in fast shallow water?
    LMJ

4. sounds like u had a super day. i ant waded the lmr in quite some time. hope ur next trip is even greater.

5. xmatthewx

xmatthewx facebook.com/xmsdx8

i was out on the great miami, just south of huber heights on rip rap road, and caught a 17 inch smallie on a black buzz bait. that was a blast. it was the biggest smallie i've caught so far in my life. i hope to catch bigger soon.

6. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My PB came this year on a White buzzbait. It was 20.5''. You can't find a more exciting way to fish. It is addicting so watch out.