who said deer pops were down?

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by misfit, Dec 9, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

reading the complaints in another thread about deer numbers being down because so many people reported not seeing many,check the dnr report for what i already knew:p ;)
    and i don't even hunt anymore,LOL.
    kinda hard to top last year's numbers by 13,000 if the herd was in such sad shape;)

2. What, the armchair biologists were wrong? Say it ain't so! :D
    I've got 30-60 deer in my field every night that remind me there are way too many deer.

3. Maybe that should read 30-06 deer in the field! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

well get the golf cart ready and you can park me out there for the late season hunt:D
    my youngest son lives in a little burg here and has about a dozen in the field behind his house every evening.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Shoot, I expected a higher number than that with the improved opening day weather and the SNOW. Snow during gun season usually means large numbers of dead deer. I know of one nice buck that would have never died had it not been for snow on the ground, and I'm sure there are many more stories like that floating around.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Private land has LOTS of deer. Public land has FEW deer. I have hunted public land in central Ohio for 16 years. I have never went out on opening day and not seen a single deer until this year. In 2005 I bow hunted a park on Saturday of gun season. I saw 13 deer that day and shot a mature 10 pt buck. This year, I saw 0 deer. The numbers are way down in many places of the state. Last year's weather was nasty particularly on opening day when it poured down rain all day. Of course the numbers are UP from last year. Ohio will set a record for harvest for this season's deer herd, but that does NOT mean there are more deer than ever. It means that hunters are allowed to kill more than ever! There is a HUGE difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biologists in Pennsylvania all professed that they had to many deer as well. Anyone know what happened next?!?!?!?!?!?!?

7. Yes, they got someone with some brains in there to actually manage the deer herd to be healthy. Unfortunately, he was finally forced to leave because of bellyaching from hunters accustomed to seeing 100+ deer per day. There will always be a large percentage of unsuccessful hunters who refuse to accept blame for their empty tag..

8. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. I don't feel like I have quite the numbers around my place that I had 5-7 years ago but there are still plenty. Knox was #9 on the list and their gun totals are in the same ball park that they have been the past few years. up until about 4-5 years ago our numbers were maybe 15-20% higher. There are still plenty enough to go around.

Tuscarawas county must have had a huge baby boom last year. Their numbers went nuts. Harrison county did as well. You can never tell the whole story until the season is completed and the final totals are in but it was definitely a big season for many folks.

I am curious to see how much of an impact the donation programs are having. I know some counties now have the program in place to allow for totally donating without requiring the hunter to foot any of the bill. Knox county does not have this program yet

10. I know even around my area there are extreme variations in deer populations even a few miles apart. As I mentioned the numbers in my place seem to be held in check however if you go over around Gambier which is only 7-8 miles from me and there are tons of deer. The same holds true just north of Mount Vernon. A lot of it depends on what damage permits control there is being done in each area. Near us there are around 400 permits used each year. North of town I know of hardly any.

As far as the public land issue I will say in my experience there which has been all bow hunting I have found that there is such a huge amount of land and it makes finding the deer extremely difficult. I agree that there are definitely fewer per square mile in most areas that I have been on but there have been deer there. I went to public land the second week of November and hunted for 4 days and saw a total of 3 deer. Add in the other three in the group and the number goes all the way up to 8. That is some tough hunting. But I know there are deer there. I didn't really know the area well enough and obviously didn't put myself where they were.;)

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

not only are kill numbers up,but the total population is also up.the(est.) deer pops have been hovering in the 600,000-700,000 for several years.succass rates and population numbers are two totally different figures.as magis more or less said,success,or lack thereof might be more result of "luck" than the actual number of deer available.
    i will say that pops in different areas will sometimes change from year to year,making it seem that numbers are down.but we are talking statewide numbers,not pops based on particular areas.in that case,i stick with my original statement.pops are NOT down statewide,and success is UP overall.
    as brian pointed out,leading counties change from year to year with harvests,for various reasons.
    now to the private/public argument,my guess is deer pops are good on private property due to the abundance of various crops,etc.

12. If there were indeed an overharvest of deer it would be something that would be very difficult to duplicate year after year because the population would rapidly dwindle. I think we are in a pretty steady population holding pattern right now. Numbers staying within a 5-10% fluctuation annually have minimal impact long term. The extra 13,000 harvested this year over last year is only about a 4% increase.

13. crittergitter

There will always be a large percentage of hunters that live on their own farm and have no clue of what it is like for others in the state.

14. Yes, you are right about that and I am fortunate. But I don't believe for a second that all 117,000 deer killed last week were killed on private land. You can't expect to see deer every time on public land simply because of pressure. Not to mention you talked about the Sat of gun season. By then they've learned what's going on.

15. crittergitter

This year aint my first rodeo. On Saturday I was hunting a well known escape route(the whole reason it worked in 2005). Hunting pressure pushes the deer to that spot. I will admit with less hunting pressure there was likely less people moving the deer. However, there might be a reason there was less hunting pressure. Also, I browse many Ohio websites. Many hunters are talking about seeing less deer. Many hunters that have killed a deer, even a nice buck have mentioned seeing less deer. Therefore, this is not just some disgruntled, lousy deer hunter who points blame at others. It would seem that others, including succesful deer hunters that spend lots of time in the woods every fall have made the EXACT SAME observations as I have.

Is the sky falling? No. However, I do believe the population numbers are down in MANY areas and I know plenty of other hunters(including successful ones) that feel the same way.

16. I can't argue that some areas have a more thinned population but I don't know how the DNR is supposed to handle that sort of contrasting population. The only way that they could accommodate that would be a varying bag limit by particular forests/preserves. Who knows? That day may come but it seems that for now their biggest task is to give adequate opportunities to curb the population as a whole.

17. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

The numbers seemed higher in my part of the state ( Springboro;SW). I am used to not seeing many deer and usually see deer on less than half of my trips out. This year I saw deer on 75% of my hunts. So I think statewide it balances out. Until I see two straight years where the harvest goes down, I am going to assume that the population is still increasing in the state.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the numbers simply do not lie.
    herd is up.
    total harvest is up.
    the only downside is bow hunting success for the early season was down by about 2000 from last year.that's only a 4% drop.
    gun and totals are up more than that,so the math seems to disagree with plenty of hunters who didn't score.

19. crittergitter

Rest assured the saugeye numbers in Hoover are up to! :p

20. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you must have gotten that fact the same place you got your facts on the deer numbers;)