Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows what kind of spider this is in the attached pic. I know nothing about them, except it was big nasty and mean looking. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Thank you, dear God, for this good life.
151 Posts
Cool spider they are harmless its a Andrew's cross spider

These spiders get their name for the way their hold their eight legs in pairs to form an X shape. The X is called the St. Andrew's cross because it is believed that the saint was martyred on a cross of this shape rather than the conventional + shape.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it kind of looks like a grass cross spider which is a kind of orb spider. I night fish 2-3 times a week so I see some huge spiders but I'll tell you what I have never seen such huge spiders in the wild as the ones I saw at Wills Creek in Kimbolton the other night. They were bad...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still nasty looking!!! Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Just looks like a run of the mill Banded Garden Spider. I leave them all alone and let them feast on the other insects around. These show up in Sept Oct.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Banded Orb Weaver.

Check it out on Whatsthatbug.com
I had a buddy several years back who had one of the biggest Orb weavers ive ever seen take up residence on the screen of his sliding glass door. This thing seemed like it was as big as your hand and the massive web took up half the screen. We were so impressed with this thing that the sliding glass door was now officially off limits so this beast of a spider could take up residence. He had to be one of the best fed spiders to ever live because we were always throwing different bugs into its web, usually an occasional moth that got into the house and a lot of male mosquitos but seriously that thing was huge and could have probably handled small mammal like a mouse or something?? Then one day the obese spider was gone!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a buddy several years back who had one of the biggest Orb weavers ive ever seen take up residence on the screen of his sliding glass door. This thing seemed like it was as big as your hand and the massive web took up half the screen. We were so impressed with this thing that the sliding glass door was now officially off limits so this beast of a spider could take up residence. He had to be one of the best fed spiders to ever live because we were always throwing different bugs into its web, usually an occasional moth that got into the house and a lot of male mosquitos but seriously that thing was huge and could have probably handled small mammal like a mouse or something?? Then one day the obese spider was gone!
My money is on the mouse.

DC 33

·
Registered
360 Posts
My money is on the mouse.

DC 33
LOL Im really not sure any spider web is capable of containing a mouse but I was really just trying to comment on the size of this thing. Wolf spiders roam and hunt prey and can get really big. Ive heard those guys are capable of taking down a mouse....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts