close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who eats right and exercises here...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Just had my cholesterol tested and it was over on bad cholesterol and under on the good stuff...
    Dr told me to eat rabbit food... Nomore burgers (UGH) fatty red meat (UGHX2)...

So what I am asking is what do you eat to help you get your cholesterol in order and keep it in check?
    What do you eat to keep your weight under control?
    Do you excersise and what do you do?
    You need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound of body weight so that seems like work to me LOL

I walk allot in the spring, summer and fall with my kids but only when I am hunting in the winter months... Bought the kids bikes last summer and looks like I'll get one real soon for myself too...

In a nutshell what do you do to keep healthy and in some kind of shape?

THANKS in advance

2. catking

catking Banned

Since my heart attack I try and watch my eating habits. No fatty junk foods, eating out very seldom , and I walk from March till November. You cannot do anything to improve the good cholesterol , as this is mainly inherited, but you improve your health by reducing your bad cholesterol. NO SMOKING for sure, as smoking is worst on your heart than on your lungs. That is a fact ;) . My cholesterol is around 140 total.........And I do eat some junk once in awhile... Walking is by far the BEST thing to do. It's free also ;) .............. THE CATKING !!!

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Hey. I know that the Low-Fat foods can really help. Also, a well-balanced diet with smaller portions helps. Exercise more than an hour of elevated heart-rate per week. Low-sodium helps as well.

I exercise 30-40 minutes every night during the week and once during the weekend if I can fit it in. I weight train and cardio exercise. Dumbells and elipticals are my weapons of choice.

4. catking

catking Banned

Whoops- My diet consist of alot of fish and chicken . Very lean beef and pork once in awhile. Snack on popcorn and drink a TON of water. This is probably the nost important thing to do . Water changes the rate of your matabolisim to the better, and flushes out the system. Bottom line ....... Eat a bowl of oat meal every day and drink a ton of water ;) .CATKING

5. More meals of smaller portions, cuts the calories and forces some conciousness about what you are eating.

watching what types of oils and fats you use to cook with

switch up your meats, and cuts of meats

I eat mostly chicken and fish (tuna, walleye, salmon), turkey, pork, the leanest ground beef you can get in that order.

Turkey is probably the most under utilized meat ever. If you think about it when do we really eat it, Thanksgiving. You can get large turkey breats easily now. Turkey burgers taste pretty good, and you can use ground turkery for anything you use ground beef for.

Fruit is really under utilized too and that is something you are supposed to be getting the most of. Throw a cup of berries on the cereal, cook with it...what a novel idea...make snacks and deserts out of it. I like to freeze some berries and banana slices and pick at em whole or throw em in the blender really quick and make a chunky sorbet.

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Ashton, you sound like a regular Martha Stewart. Just kidding! Thats a great suggestion

7. No matter what diet regimen anyone goes with the one thing that should be consistent among most folks is the need to exercise. It does not matter what age group you are in. Everyone can find some sort of exercise program that fits their physical capabilities.

As for me I try to exercise 3-5 days a week. I do not eat as healthy as I probably should. But I think that a good exercise program can make up for a few downfalls in the diet area.

Catking is right on the water consumption. You do need to drink plenty of water. However, I have heard of cases where individuals can drink too much water and they end up flushing good nutrients from their system as well. These cases are pretty rare as I think most people fall well below the dangerous water intake levels.

8. I eat one meal a day and drink lots of beer. It works for me. I am at the top weight of my life which is #140

9. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

Lipitor :D

10. Got my blood tests after watching my Dad go through quadruple by-pass this past fall.... pretty scary knowing that my levels almost matched his. I did a lot of research and everyone's ideas are right on. I was told aerobic excerise at least 1/2 hour EVERY day, change meats to cuts that have lean fat/ no fat (man I hated to hear that :( ) and substitute in more non-breaded fish. Also, garlic and onions are wonderful to help lower the bad cholestrol along with oranges, grapes, green veggies.. if you do a google search for low cholestrol diets, you will find a ton of great ideas. Here's a link that I found a ton of great info on: www.wholehealthmd.com/hk/remedies/disp/1,1459,476,00.html

(I hope that link opens)

let us know how you are doing!! Been on the new diet for 2 1/2 weeks and it is a major change, but hang in there. I have to go back for another blood test in June/July and if I haven't "fixed" it, it's on to meds to do it, according to the doc.

11. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Hmm.. well, are you married? Perhaps your wife can...ummm...well lets just say "creatively exercise" with you 5 or so times a week? :D Well...that's providing that this fun form of exercise will keep your heart rate elevated for at least 20 minutes. :p If I were you, this would be my first plan of attack against high cholesterol. :D
    For the record, my LDL is 77 which is super low ;)

12. Reelman I solute you sir [​IMG]

After 6 kids, 2 sets of twins (we also lost a set or it would have been 3 :( )
    I think I'll find another avenue for my creative exercises ... ;)

13. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol last November. After doing a total 180 on the diet and discovering that exercise does work, it has paid off. 60 lbs later and dropping my bad cholesterol almost 60 points, I am starting to see results. Everything everyone has listed below is 100% on the money. Follow it, it will only help you in the long run.

Now, my dad past away from a heart attack back in '75, so the doc also put me on Lipitor (40mg) as well because of the family history. It seems to be working but you have to keep up with your diet and exercise routine. For me, the first 6 weeks were the absolute worst but after that YOU WILL GET USED TO THE CHANGES and see results!

Sounds like you have 6 good reasons to follow the advice you've been given. My "two reasons" are my inspiration. I don't want to leave them like my dad unfortunately left me at the age of five. Did I mention I'm only 33.

Keep up the good work atrkyhntr and if you need any support, just drop me a line, anytime.

Tight lines!

14. I gotta' go with Reel-lady's suggestion on that excercise. :D Finding a willing partner for that isn't always easy though! :rolleyes:

BKR- Does the water in Budwieser count towards your sdaily intake of H2O? If so-I think I'm covered! :D

Tim

15. I don't know if I eat right, but I work out at the gym 6 days a week......and reel lady's advice sounds like a good plan!

16. Clyde...

I had the same a couple of years back and was prescribed Lipitor and a change in diet. I later found out that Lipitor can have some side effects, not too serious. What folks have said here is true and will work, but also pay close attention to the nutritional charts on pre-packed foods, especially snacks...you'll be surprised at the cholesterol levels in those foods. I was able to get my levels under control without a change in my exercise/activity levels. Everyone is different...see what works for you.

If the wife sees this thread, she'll be making me get to the doctor for a routine check-up, cuz it has been a while.

Give me a call sometime...

Rob

17. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I doctored my results to make my cholesterol look worse then it is. I obviously needed more exercise. So far my plan has worked :D

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL
    that's only for guys like us,that don't do all the other stuff we're advised to do :rolleyes:

as to the original question.....................i don't have a clue :confused:
    i've seen people do all the "right" things,and drop dead in their prime.i've also seen people who did all the "wrong" things,and lived for what seemed like an eternity.personally,i've not lived the healthiest lifestyle,and probably won't change too much,but it's been fun.as one of my favorite songs goes,"i could have missed the pain,but i'd have missed the dance".my signature line below sort of says it all,as to my take on life :)

ps......................the above statements and opinions are solely those of the author,and are in no way,to be construed as proffesional advise(or any other kind of advise,for that matter) ;)
    listen to the previous replies(especially reel lady's :D ),and the odds are that your chances of a longer,healthier life could possibly increase substantially.

19. Well, all I can say on the exercise part, well, uh, they don't call me Big Daddy for nothing. 5 kids, heck, even my dog, that was fixed, had 6 pups after I made gumbo one day. Long story.....5 days a week? My wife would get a freakin' medal!!!

As far as the cholesteral thing, if mine gets below 275, I get cranky. Helps me to keep warm on the ice for 12-15 hour stretches. Also, at work yesterday, I cut my arm on an exposed nail and gravy came out. Is that bad???

I've seen my parents go through heart problems, high BP, diabetes, and I lost them both to cancer, plus uncles, aunts, and yes, even one of my kids to one thing or another. Something's going to get you and I figure I'm going to eat what I want(well balanced with both fried foods as well as baked) drink what I want, and enjoy my time on this Earth while I can. I'm just glad I can share it with you guys. This stuff is fun!!!

Let's go fishing!!!!

20. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

That is one seriously gross visual you gave me Mr. Big Daddy! :eek: ICK!