Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just quit smoking three weeks ago, so I picked up a tin of skoal spearmint to help the cravings. Mainly because paying 40 bucks for two weeks worth of nicotine patches is crazy, and the gum taste like paint chips.

The tin cost me something like 5 bucks, and one can is still going strong 3 weeks later. Grant it, I only do about two dips a day. One in the morning, one after lunch. Plus dipping and fishing go together like making love and peanut butter. Smoking was always a pain in the butt while wading. Plus the dip gives me the satisfaction that smoking did. That relaxing feeling, a little slice of heaven.

What's your favorite chew?
What's the best dip?
and how many cans/pouches a day,week or whatever?

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,042 Posts
just wait till your gums recede down past the roots of your teeth, ah yea, that sweet sweet dip. sput..oop there went a tooth.lol..i dipped skoal back in my teens, i think its worse than smoking on your gums

·
Registered
363 Posts
I quit on April 13th this spring. Two cans a day for 20 years or so was enuf. I miss it every day and can say that most chewers that quit do miss it. Unlike a smoker that quits they can't stand the smell of smoke after quiting. If you realy believe that chewing goes with fishing keep it up and you will find it kinda starts to go with eveything you do. You haven't quit anything yet you have just traded. I'm not trying to tick ya off but if you realy want to quit you will do it without the aid of something else. Nicotine is your habit smoking or chewing is the way you ingest it. Good luck to you be a quiter not a trader!

·
Proud Walleye Addict
138 Posts
I chew cope when I have money or coupons and husky when I dont. The wife wants me to quit but I have to whole heartly want to to be able to quit and I dont. Just try to keep that 2 chews a day thing going because before you know it you could be chewing a can a day like I do.:D Its not a good thing and most people find it groos but I figure there is alot worse things I could be addicted to!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quit the chaw on Jan 1st...haven't had one since....after a while the mint flavors gave me headaches....then went to apple and that roughed up my lip so then I tried the skoal citrus and fell in love with it...until I quit....I think about dipping every day but I feel i have taken the right step....I have seen guys with skin graphs and missing jaws from chewing and cancer....

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have quit multiple times. The longest time was 6 months and 5 days. I had it written down. My ex at the time was keeping tract. Then I went out and partied in Kentucky with some freinds there was EVERCLEAR involved. Well I guess I started chewing that night(blacked out) I went through one of my buddies cans. I woke up about 1 PM the next day craving it so bad I had to go get some. I have just pretty much given up. I have other changes to make this year.

Next year Ill take a crack at it.

Word of advice from my dentist. Dont hold it in one spot constantly move it around. Brush your teeth. Also say your on the road and don't have a toothbrush or something. Rinse your mouth out be it with pop water etc. This gets rid of the smal pieces that eat at your teeth.

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
I just quit smoking three weeks ago, so I picked up a tin of skoal spearmint to help the cravings. Mainly because paying 40 bucks for two weeks worth of nicotine patches is crazy, and the gum taste like paint chips.

The tin cost me something like 5 bucks, and one can is still going strong 3 weeks later. Grant it, I only do about two dips a day. One in the morning, one after lunch. Plus dipping and fishing go together like making love and peanut butter. Smoking was always a pain in the butt while wading. Plus the dip gives me the satisfaction that smoking did. That relaxing feeling, a little slice of heaven.

What's your favorite chew?
What's the best dip?
and how many cans/pouches a day,week or whatever?
you bettr git out while u can.....that stuff is way stronger than smoking and 10 times harder to quit.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I quit dipping dec 31st. after 14 years. I had acid reflux from it , a few nights i woke up from the reflux, when it came up it when into my lungs,I woke up choking.I couldnt breath!!! and my chest hurt for days, also i work construction. good combo right? nope very bad, i had to be around a bathroom or woods and all times. explosive diarrhea! i was going 9 times a day, so i quit and after about a month i have no more diarreah no more reflux. Im saving alot of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dip is very very bad. i was also told that winter green causes gum loss faster for some reason..

I hope you can quit before it gets bad, like i had it chew gum

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I do but I changed primarily to Triumph Snus. The EU has done tons of research on this stuff and there is proof that it is LESS HARMFUL than cigarettes and dip/chew. U.S. hasn't touched the stuff as far as harm reduction testing goes due to a hardline attitude that all tobbaco is harmful. I reccomend it though. Gives you a good buzz, you don't have to spit, and you can kiss your woman and she will never know (makes your breath smell GOOD).

·
master angler
149 Posts
I dipped Cope for 25 years and never tried to quit so I wanted to see if I could. 3 years ago on Super Bowl Sunday I had my last dip. The first three days were easy, but the next three were killer. If you can get by the first week, it's easy sailing.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've never really had problems not doing it. I haven't had one since wednesday night. It's more of a pleasure thing I guess, than something I am addicted too. Not saying I couldn't get addicted, but if I do it more than once and while, my lip starts hurting. lol

and you are correct. I didn't quit, I just traded. But to something that cost me 1/20th the amount, and one that I don't crave every 30 minutes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I started chewing in the Marine Corps as a way to supplement nicotine when I couldn't smoke. Now I smoke only when I can't (shouldn't) dip. If you are only quitting because of money them dip is a good cost saver. You WILL find that it getts harder and harder to do things w/o dipping. I spend most of my day w/ a dip in. A can lasts me about a day and a half, but I will keep the same dip in for hours and just add small pinches to it. My advice would be to go with a cheeper brand now, before you get hooked on a brand. I chewed Copenhagen for a long time but it got expensive. Switched to Grizzly snuff and it took me a few good months to get used to it. Grizzly and Longhorn are only about $2.50 / can as apposed to $5+ for Skol or Cope.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
bopper a- 3 weeks on a tin man when i was on it that ,dip would dry out and taste stronger but i finally quit as of easter weekend,miss it some but not enough to start back up,had quit for a yr plus a few yrs back and got bored during duck season and started back up,MISTAKE,so i,m cold turkey now and saving some $ in the process good luck ...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've been dippin' for a long time. Like you, I used it to quit smoking. I honestly believe that dip is more addictive than smokes. I've quit several times, but it only takes one pinch to start the cycle all over again. I've lost alot of my gums because of it and who knows when/if cancer will set in. I certainly don't recommend it as an alternative. It won't be long before you don't get the same effect and you'll need more and more of it. Then, you won't get the effect at all, but you can't function without it.

That said, my favorite for several years is Grizzly long cut wintergreen. It's very similar to Kodiak and half the cost. It just has some extra chunks in it.

My dentist has been all over me. When I need to be fitted for dentures, they'll have to literally chisel away some extra bone growths that I have behind my gums. That doesn't sound fun :(

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Chewed Red Man for 20 plus years. Quit three times the last one being 3.5 years ago. I see the stuff on the shelf at the store and start salivating.... at least I don't think about it constantly like the first year or so.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts