close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whitewater report

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cats under the stars, Jun 8, 2004.

1. A friend and I fished theWhitewater river 5 times this week and caught 46 fish.

5 pound striper
    8 pound drum
    10 big white bass
    34 channel cats - The cats weighed from 1-5 pounds.

I have always caught alot of fish but never any big ones. Does anyone know of any other bank fishing spots on the Great Miami or Whitewater river that could hold bigger catfish.

Is the ohio river ready to bank fish tommorrow at Fernbank Park?
    Anywhere else, like where the Licking meets the Ohio?

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I think people are hesitant to answer your question because you are asking for specific spots, and we all know decent cattin spots are getting harder to find..I dont live in that area so I cant help, Maybe Bryan Mellon cant help if he sees this thread?

3. With the river approaching 30' Fernbank Park may be fishable but the current might still be pretty strong. Another area to try is below Lesko Park in Aurora, Indiana.

A popular area in the GMR is where the Whitewater River empties into the GMR. A few years ago I saw photos of a flathead that was 2 lbs shy of the Ohio state record.

4. Thanks Ken,

I fished at Fernbank today. Hooked something big on a shad first 5 minutesI was there but it ran under something and I got snagged. 10 minutes later I caught a great fighting 12 lb channel on a liver. We caught 7 channels betwwen 4 and 12lbs. and 1 white bass. First time I've ever been. We got checked by the ranger twice for licences and to check our stringer.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

There are tons os spots to bank fish the GMR, however most are either over fished or on private property & extremely hard to get permission to fish.

One reason that I havent done so well this year is that I almost refuse to fish the GMR @ night. Here in the Dayton area, your gambling w/ your life & I am not kidding that. Thats why I ahve my trusty friend Mr. Tauarus .44 Special w/ me. A guy got beat to death via a gold club (pure Soprano style) last year right @ my old favorite spot. Some people are making this world a sick place. I am hestitant about going @ night because I truely think it would not take me much the defend myself, then I know it would be a huge ordeal after the fact if that were to happen. In the past I have given many spots away to people in my area but am now a little affradi to, I'd hate to see something happen, but if you or anyone else want to know of a couple spots PM me, just be carefull. There are 4 or 5 diff spots w/in 15 minutes of Huber Heights that should produce great #'s of Channels just about any night. To me, its just not worth the chance anymore. I'd rather go fishign w/ Jack & get skunked, at least I have made it back so far!